Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Months post-op lumbar microdiscectomy

sdv3ssdv3 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Back on October 25th, I herniated my L5-S1 while riding my bike. The sciatic pain was horrible only a few days later, after the feeling of my back being completely snapped in half went away. A month or two later, I got an epidural injection, which was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. The injection helped a little but I refuse to settle for living with any unnecessary pain at all. I was still having burning sensations on the side of my knee and ankle.

I was scheduled for surgery February 2nd and it was a "success" according to the surgeon. I only felt pain while switching positions in bed for a few days, until the steroids wore off. I've been having pain every day since then. I've been through 3 medrol packs, neurontin, and too much vicodin. I use ice almost every day and haven't lifted anything heavy since the operation.

I requested a MRI a month ago to take to the surgeon for my follow-up appt. He said there is a slight bulge, but nothing nearly as bad as my first herniation. That was 3 weeks ago and I feel the pain has gotten slightly worse than before.

I've been trying to ignore the fact that I can't ride my bike (my main hobby), work on my car, drive my car on most days( I drive a manual transmission), but I can't anymore. I'm dying from depression and hopelessness. I've hearda lot of success stories, but even more horror stories from this surgery or "situation"

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, other than me venting and being a baby....but comment or ask as many questions as you'd like.

I am a male who just turned 22, if that matters.

thanks everyone!

• I haven't had my surgery yet, but will be joining you on that path soon on May 2nd.

I had a minor cycling accident last July that resulted in my L5 herniation.

Again, you're a few paces ahead of me and our procedures are a bit different. Mine (unless my surgeon changes his mind on me) will be open and not micro so I don't know how much of a difference that makes in recovery times but I was advised that it would be at least 6 + months before I "begin to feel like myself" (whatever that means at this point) and that I will always have a certain amount of back pain. My surgeon's goal is to remove the nerve irritation which is causing the leg symptoms.

He does, however, feel that in the future - though certainly not this year and perhaps not next year (we have very short summer seasons up here) that I have a chance to be able to return to cycling. For a while I thought I could give it up but as the ice and snow is melting now, it's really bothering me. I really want to be out there.

I certainly don't have much in the way of advice, but I can simply say that you're not alone.