Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I"m back with an aside

mel v.mmel v. Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Lower Back Pain

Hi Spiney Friends, It's been since December 2010 since I last checked in. Things are going well. I'm about one month short of my one year post-op date and I would say I'm at around 95% most of the time. Currently having a muscle spasam that has lasted about 3 weeks, same one I had at 5 months post-op, so at lease it's the same and I know what it is thank goodness. It's nagging, but nothing like the pain before the surgery. My surgeon has encouraged me to try new exercises to strength my back. Last week it was Yoga, once a week a fast power walk for one hour, I go to the gym to do cardio and light weight lifting 3 times a week and was actually thinking of trying ZUMBA. But that may be a little advanced for me. I pray each day for continued recovery and good back health. At 48 years old, you wake up with some aches and pains, but hopefully not in the back region so much. For the first time in a very long time, I took the bus into NYC and waked probably 20 blocks to a museum and then stood for another one hour looking at the exhibit and then went to lunch, took many, many stairs to the subway and the bus home. My back was good, but very tired. I iced it and went to bed early, and woke up with no ill side effects. It so nice to do some things you haven't done in a long time and realize how much you missed it. I wish everyone good health, less pain and a great spring. Warmest Regards to all my friends and thank you for your support. Best, MEL V.

• Good to hear about you're feeling 95% better. What a positive update. I wonder if your muscle spasm was caused by walking so far. I haven't had surgery but if I walk too much I awake with a muscle spasm in my calf and foot. I hope you heal completely. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Great to hear you are doing so well,& have got your life back.It must be so amazing to be almost pain free.
    I'm about three months post op(2nd fusion-L4-5 &S1)
    Still struggling lots.It nice to see the positive posts when they come through,it rejuvenates my hope,that in a few more months IU may get a life back <LOL
    Have an awesome day & bless you for being a positive careing person.People like yourself can make all the difference to people struggling through these horrid experiences.
    Cheers Mike.
  • Hi Mel!
    It's been so long since we spoke. I'm very happy you feel so good. I'm at the 1 year point since my L4/5 TLIF next week and I feel pretty good. PT didn't do a great deal for me so I am going to a personal trainer. She is helping me with my residual leg pain (the muscles atrophied somewhat due to the nerve impingement and walking badly for 20 years...) and core work. But she gave me arching exercies which have made me feel weak in my low back. UGH!! I just pray nothing is damaged. A nurse recently told me NO arching of the back because it can cause the screws to come lose. It puts too much pressure on the facet joints.

Anyway, all else is good. I fell on ice last January, 3 months after my back surgery, and I broke my wrist. Terribly bad luck -- plate and screws needed. But we went to Ireland for vacation this summer and it was wonderful. I survived all the running around and long seating times. That was a huge accomplishment for me.

So keep in touch and stay well!

This discussion has been closed.