Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

alif at l4 and l5 needed l3 but didnt do it this time

raymondrraymond Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
if anyone can relate to me plz reply,,jan 4 2011 i had alif l4 and l5 now my right foot stays ice cold,and my left leg from my knee down is as worse or worser then before,my left foot feels like its on fire,and i can take 1 percocet 10 and it ease's my lower back pain,but my left leg and foot i can take 2 ...10 milgrams and dont even help.i got go back 14 april .and see what my options is,and are they something else i can ask my doctor for that will help my left leg and foot..because 2 -3 hours asleep is about all i get ,thank you all for reading and reply if you can,my email adress is gamblinrayzor@aol.com if i miss a reply ty.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi, and welcome to S.H. forums. After all of these years I hate to ask my P.M.Dr. for any narcotic that he already dosen't prescribe me. I'll make comments like this isn't working well. Or this just barely takes the edge off.
    And I may ask him for a change in meds at his discretion. Or his opinion. But I never ask him to prescribe a particular drug.
    So my advice to you is, explain the situation your in like you described it to us. And ask him what he thinks might work for you. But don't ask for a particular drug that you may have heard of.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • ty 4 advice ,wasnt going to ask him for anything,i was trying to make a point ,that it takes 2 -10 milgram percocet to just ease my left leg and foot,couldnt sleep ..hard to tell the way my post came across lol..i had alif at l4-l5 fusion,needed something done with my l3.but i guess thats later..just wonder what options are left for me with my left leg and foot?i was hurt on the job and didnt get treatment for 2 year,my l4 and l5 was pancaked,and crushed my nerves for 2 years ,im hoping its not permant damage,cant see going through this day in and day out..thank you for your time to reply....ray
  • Welcome to Spine health.

I also had ALIF L 4/5 but have issues at other levels. My surgery was 7 months ago and I am left with a lot of residual leg pain (nerve) and weakness. I know what you are going through I know how scary & disappointed you are feeling. You are still VERY early in your recovery so perhaps it is a timing issue. The percoset isn't going to really help with the nerve type pain you described in legs & feet.

There are meds like lyrica or neurontin to help with that. I was on neurontin for a couple of months, which helped but had to stop due to side effects.

You need to up front & honest with your doctor and explain what your symptoms are, it may be helpful to jot down the sensations you are experiencing and what if any thing has triggered it. Sleep is so important and I still struggle with not being able to get enough, again talk with doc there are sleep aids he can prescribe for you.

I wish you the very best outcome and remember your recovery is going to take a long time and there a many highs & lows along the way. Sometimes when your nerves are healing, they let you know! The nerves take the longest to recover which is why I hope for you it is just timing. ... you need more healing time.

Are you doing any p/t?

Have you returned to work?

• thanks 4 your reply.no mam ive layed block and brick all my life ol mule work,doctor told me thats over with. im 42 and dont have education,raised 2 boys fine boys and got 2 boys left,to raise,carpenter work be only thing for me to do which im good at.other then that its up for grabs..my phiscal therapy is nine months post op ,is what they told me.and pac told me where my nerves was crushed that the nerves got to heal which like you said it takes time,butn by the same token he told me at 90 days what ever my back is at that time ,thats what it will be,if so im in bad trouble,they have missed something i think not sure,left foot stays on fire and hurts from my knee down constanly.and i walk every day and ive came to figure out more i walk worse i hurt ..like before the surgrey.going back next week and spill my gutts and see what my options are or if any,workers comp is pushing for every thing to be done, and on the road to recovery.thank you hope all stays well with ya
  • by my consultant that after my ALIF {this sept} that i will have some dark days ! and recovery will be long and slow ..so try to be patient in the mean time maybe your family doctor can prescribe a stronger pain killer .sorry that you are in pain .i have that cold leg/foot feeling too its horrible hang on in there my friend
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • by my consultant that after my ALIF {this sept} that i will have some dark days ! and recovery will be long and slow ..so try to be patient in the mean time maybe your family doctor can prescribe a stronger pain killer .sorry that you are in pain .i have that cold leg/foot feeling too its horrible hang on in there my friend
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • yes its got be i guess im 3 months and some odd days.its easy to get depressed i know that,but bad thing is more i read on here there lot people here has worser problems.and yours look bad hope every thing go good for you.my big is the 10 mig helps with my lower back pain but man .i can take 2 10 milg percocet and it dont touch the pain in my left leg and foot ..left foot feels like its been crushed and on fire.and right foot ice cold.but im afraid to ask the doctor for something for my left leg pain.because first thing they say you abusing your med,,people sells this stuff causes us people may have to rely on it,and get treated like we are crinamals or something piss me off here.ty for your reply im trying to hang in get depressed easy have no will want do anything..
  • When I had a lamenectomy the surgeon spent 2 hours just trying to free the nerve from scar tissue. He told me that it could take up to a year for the nerves to heal and generally what you had at a year was it. Unfortunate for me I got no improvement and have had constant burning and achey pain in my back and neck for 3 years now.
    Are you taking muscle relaxers with your pain pills? I was perscribed mild relaxers, skelaxin, to go with the pain meds. It helped a little in the recovery stage.
    Now that I have more issues I take a extended release muscles relaxer that I take 3 hours before bed. It helps, I now get 4 to 5 hours of sleep and then dose in and out the rest of the night trying to find a comfortable position.
    Don't give up on yourself. You have the strength to face this and sometimes physical therapy can work miracles. Will pray that you get some relief.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • muscles relaxer no not at this time,im going back the 14 april to let him know whats going on.my pac he seems to not like writing anything been back 2 times.but what my workerscomp agent told me monday i no longer will see a pac.. only the doctor who did my surgery.i had to fight for 2 years to just get insurance and workers comp,all because the foreman didnt make a report of my injury.so i was told since i went 2 years no treatment other then just pain med. and tryed the shots in my back no relief at all..where my nerves was crushed for 2 years it might not heal back,my be perment which my luck that will be the case.so she is trying to rush every thing ,she wants to know what is my next option is from my doctor.which left leg from my knee down kills me and foot feels like its on fire and throbs.and right foot stays ice cold now and even looks white like not enough bloof flow.that started 2 months after alif surgery.and aint let up.all they can say is it takes nerves longer to heal and it might be the case..im 3 months and few days post op and hope he dont cut my pain meds out .or i have no way to cope with this at this time..thank you for your reply and good health to you also..ray
  • The pain you describe is not typically one (at least from my experience) that regular pain pills can touch. I have a standing prescription for oxycodone 5s (percocet without the tylenol), and when I'm having a flare, I could take ten of them (not recommended) and it wouldn't touch the pain. I had a 3 level fusion L3-L5/S1 two and a half years ago. It took a good 18 months to recover from that surgery. I had a couple of major flares along the way and the only things that worked for me were steroids(medrol pack) and Lyrica (made for nerve pain). I just got over a bad flare -- pain pills did not touch the pain. More Lyrica and a couple of visits to my physical therapist set me back on the right track again. I still have a numb/pins and needles feeling on the outside of my right foot. At this point, I doubt that will ever go away.

All the best,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • thank you im hoping he can give me some insight on this next thursday to what he thinks going on first couple months i guess the pain meds worked some,because the pain i feel in my left leg and foot,was like a light throb burning pain,maybe pain leval was 6 or 7 and now its 15 ,ive had rough 2 years it wears on ya i know that.Lyrica <<is that a narcotic ,having surgery alif at l4-l5 i thought would fix my left leg pain,right never botherd me to much and now its stays ice cold,i was told where my nerves was pinched for 2 years that it would take time to heal.if not perment damage wasnt done.how ever he told me l4-l5 was the first to fix it was very bad ,and some point l -3 is next.just wondering if l-3 would cause this much pain in my left leg and foot.and setting both hips feel like a deep bruise.should i ask him about lyrica? ty 4 reply
This discussion has been closed.