Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pilonoidal sinus or ingrowing hair.

smiffee75573553ssmiffee75573553 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello, i am new to blogs and forums, but i have a topic to talk about and would gratefully receive any feedback or advice from anyone has on the subject of ingrowing hairs or the technical term of pilonoidal sinus, this affects the area of the lower back and buttock area, my concern is that i have had these for a long period and they keep returning which i have been told is just par for the course even after surgeries, however what concerns me is does this have a detremental effect on my lower back as i do seem to suffer quite a bit of pain in that area and wondered if anyone has suffered alot with these and would like you to share your advice or knowledge on this topic. Cheers.

• I would get your Dr. to refer you to a Dermatologist about this if it's a pilonidal cyst as it can be painful. It's an abscess and usually the Dermatologist does a minor surgical procedure for this. The only thing is you'll need to go to the clinic everyday or ER dept. to get this cleaned and packed for about 3-6 weeks. I'm very familiar with these and have done the dressings often as I'm a nurse. But of course you need to see your Dermatologist for a diagnosis. Only if you're disabled you could have homecare come in and do the dressings for you and the Dermatologist will set things up for you. I hope you get it checked up soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Charry,

Thank you for your advice and you are absolutely correct in that it is an abscess and they keep recurring and i have no idea as to stop them from doing so, do you know if it has detremental effect on my back internally. I have surgeries and also have to have the wound packed as you say, unfortunately i have had complications with this last surgery and am still not fully healed after 17 weeks which has been annoying to say the least, very painful and awkward at the same time. Thanks for your correspondence. Smiffee.
  • 17 weeks is a long time but I have seen some that take up to 20 weeks and even have reoccurred. I know you have to keep that area clean and dry as you sweat there and use a depilatory or shave that area when it's all healed. Perhaps even given a long time dose of preventative antibiotics but of course I'm not a Dr. and only a Dr. can help you with that.

They're below the dermis but shouldn't affect the underlying bone but if you're having lower back pain deep then I would tell your Dr. this and he may need to do x-rays or MRI if you think you have back pain from some other reason. I wonder how often your Dr. looks at your wound and if it may need to be debrided?

For sure it must be hard for you as dressing change becomes part of your lifestyle and many would take a shower with plastic covering but it would become wet and then the patient puts on a dry dressing then comes in for a dressing change. So it's not easy to do that everyday especially if you're working. So keep me posted how you're doing and also check and see if there's a support group for patients such as yourself. Come back if you do have spinal problems and would like to hear how you're doing with this. Praying you will heal soon and hope you don't have further back problems. Never lose hope. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for your advice and comments, you have hit the nail on the head with all you have said.
    I will speak to my Dr about the back pain i get as it is not all the time and perhaps i just need to get my lower back more supple through yoga and back exercises it just was bothering me with the fact i have had so many of these before and they keep coming back and i kinda tied the two together but wanted some advice from people in the know as yourself.
    I will keep you posted with any findings that come about. Cheers. Take care. Smiffee
This discussion has been closed.