Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pars Defect

mblanche05mmblanche05 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I am 30 years old and just had two surgeries done on my S1-L5-L4. I had a pars defect and degenerative discs. I had spacers, metal rods, screws and bolts to help the fusion process. Also, with this condition I had a total fracture of my support bone and had to have the bone totally reconstructed.

The first surgery was fine and I felt instantly the pain in my legs were gone. I had my surgery on Feb. 23rd. At one of my follow ups, my surgeon found that one of the instruments had bent and a bolt had come loose and recommended that I have surgery the next day. He put in a bigger rod with bigger screws and bolts. It has seemed to have worked.

After this surgery, I was incapable of moving much and formed a blood clot in my left leg. The clot has been taken care of, but I still have 5 months to go before I know the clot is totally fine. I had that surgery on March 2nd.

Now I am having trouble with another screw on my left side, but it is remaining intact as of now. I am currently seeking a second opinion because I am speculating that I may need a third surgery to repair this problem. I do not know who is at fault here the manufacurer of the instruments or the surgeon.

My surgeon told me that this is the first time that he has ever seen this happen since he has been in practice. I feel that the surgeon should have used the bigger instruments in the first place since I am a bigger man (6'280lbs) at the time of surgery. I did my home work on this surgeon, pre surgery, and he is supposed to be one of the best and has a very high rating on every website that I went to and in his defense all the instuments are made of the strongest metal on earth. I still trust my current surgeon, but there may be another surgeon out there that has seen this situation happen before and knows what to do.

I am trying to seek a second opinion, but because the surgeries are so fresh most surgeons do not want to see me. This condition has put my life on hold over a year now. I lost my job over this and I still cannot do much. Though, I am feeling improvement now, I am still worried about this instrument coming loose again and needing a third surgery. I had to get the surgery because I tried everything possible before the surgery and those methods did not work. If anyone can recommend a good surgeon in the NY/NJ area please respond to me.