Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

level 2 fusion c5-c6 & c6-c7 with metal plate & 3 screws 3/15/11

autumntaautumnt Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all! I just saw my neuro. surgeon for my 3 & 1/2 week check up & he said everything looks great on the ct scans & my scar looks amazing, so yay!! I still have to wear my neck brace (aspen vista style) until June when I see him, but I'm so happy things aree looking well. The pain in my arm & hand has significantly decreased-I still have slight weakness in my right hand, but they say after a few weeks things should get better. The pain that I'm having in my back went from a 9-10 to around a 6 and that's because of where the neck brace rests on it, so I'm hoping that will go away when I stop wearing that.
For those of you who don't know my story, I was rear-ended while stopped at a red light almost 2 years ago (June 2009). I had separated my shoulder at the time & had major whiplash. They thought all of my back pain was caused by my shoulder. They said shoulder would take 6 months to heal and when the pain was even worse after 6 mnths I went for a contrast MRI & they found a tear in my rotator cuff & the labrum detached (it was in my dominant hand side). So in April 2010 I had surgery to repair that. When back & neck pain didn't get better they sent me for a MRI of my neck & back & found herniated discs at c5-c6 & c6-c7 severely compressing my spinal chord. They said I'd need surgery & I had heard so many bad things about the surgery I tried everything else to not have the surgery (decompression at chiro, accupuncture, massage therapy) & in November 2010, my hand started getting weaker & the pain in my arm was getting worse,so I had decided to go ahead with the surgery. He had another MRI done & had said it was a good thing bc altho 1 of the herniations got a little better, the other had gotten worse. I was scared to have the surgery, but am so happy I had gone thru with it! The one thing that had helped me make my decision was finding this website & hearing the stories of the succesful surgeries, etc. I know the things that can go wrong, but I focused on the positive only & if I didn't have the surgery there was a huge chance things could get worse. The Dr. gave me 60% chance things would get better & it would keep things from getting worse, so I had to take that chance and am glad I did. Thanks to all of you on here for your support! No one else understood the kind of pain I was in & it helped tremendously to have it!

• Autumn, It's good to hear that you are improving. So many times people come here for support and if they improve they just move along with their lives, and that is a good thing, but it is also very nice when a person takes the time to comment on their improvements and to let us know just what it is that is/has been going on with them.
    I'll be glad when you can get out of the neck brace in June, and I hope that is all it is causing a lot of your discomfort/pain.
    You have a good attitude, and I agree that focusing on the positive is important and can go a long way on the road to a better recovery.

• Glad to hear that everything is going well for you.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
    49 year old teacher
    dealt with pain for more than 5 years before finally having surgery.
    tried PT, cervical epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and acupuncture
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit