Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 mos. post lumbar discectomy - did lawn work

CatmomCCatmom Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys,

I'm 3 mos post lumbar discectomy and my neurosurgeon told me to go ahead and garden, etc... just watch because I would get tired.

So even though I started having recurrent radiculopathy in my leg about 6 weeks after surgery, I'm trying to live a "normal" life and I decided to be stupid and did lawn work today.

I feel like I put my body through a blender, and I was only out there for 30 to 45 minutes!!

My back is screaming, my arms are shaking (rofl, so out of shape) and my leg is dragging. :(

Any thoughts on when in the healing process I will be able to do this stuff w/out feeling like this? When did you guys get back to this kind of thing?

Thanks for your thoughts!

• I'm on my second fusion now,as my first one didnt fuse.
    I'm at 3 months now & any thing that involves bending seems to generate worse pain than before.
    Many on here seem to say that it can take up to & sometimes even longer than a year ,before you feel totally solid.If you are blessed to have the problem solved.
    Last time I found that things seem to improve ,very slowly,& by 6 months I could do lawns without creating too much pain.I had some ,& thought it was the metal ware causing it,but when they did a CT scan ,they found I hadn't fused at all & needed to do a revision.
    Man that was one of the worst days of my life,to find that out.
    But we push on in HOPE .It's incredible what we humans can survive.
    Most days I have to make myself think of others that I hear about ,that are so more worse off than I am.I seems to help,when things are extremely tough.
    May God have mercy on us all.And bless you with some laughter for our souls.
  • I had what you had done as my 1 st surgery and it took me 6 months to start feeling like me again and went back to work as a server!!>...and as for yard work i always got comfort from kneeling so it helped to do yard work weeding and planting hope ya get better soon
  • Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Um...*blushes* I actually was using the weedeater not being good and planting and digging. Yeah, my hubby had a few words to say lol!

Ok, so no being an over-reaching fool for at least 2-3 more months. Sigh.

Thanks again. I really want this to be my ONLY surgery so I'd better start behaving.

• I think it is more a thing of building your stamina back up after months of not using those muscles. I can definitely relate as the least little thing would "hurt" and wear me out. It is so frustrating, but just do a little at a time until you regain some strength.
  • Catmom,

I think it was irresponsible of your doctor to let you "go ahead and garden" 3 months post surgery. That's my opinion, of course. Having had 2 lumbar surgeries, I can tell you that it will take much longer to heal AND if your disc is in bad shape,...ultimately, you will probably have a fusion or ADR at that level eventually. Look around and see how many people on here have a progressive surgical list in their signatures. Sorry to shed light on reality, but hope and spine issues just healing don't really go hand in hand. :(

GL to you, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. You won't if you keep gardening and putting unneccessary pressure on your spine though. Doctors amaze me more and more the longer I live.
  • We all push things too hard,trying to recover from spinal surgery.Its part of living with the frustration of it all.
    I'm sure you will be fine,but---be gentle with your self regarding the bending twisting stuff.
    But I think pain is meant to be a guide too,allowing of coarse for what is masked by drugs.
    Recently I have tried to reduce my drugs,& ended up having to up them back to previous level ,just to give myself a break from constant pain.Like most ,I am afraid of the dependancy thing with opiates.
    But living in constant pain wasn't doing my mind much good,so it turned out to be the lessor of two evils ,LOL.
    Right now ,I have no pain,feels wierd,LOL.
    Oh to be well again,without the drugs.A few more months for that to happen it seems.
  • hi
    ive been gardening mowing grass weeding .. housework etc yes in pain but rest after ..
    i keep on going trying to make a normal life..

But now for over 4 weeks i have a frozen shoulder my right arm.. and im getting sharp pain on my left side into my thigh and down leg .. got docs on friday ..see what they say

i just want my independence back