Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L-5 herniation

nocturnalbucknnocturnalbuck Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i work for a delivery company, driving walking lifting all day long. back in Dec started getting soreness in my hamstring area. by Jan was walking with a limp and started going to a chiropractor. did that for a month, and by mid feb couldn't do my job anymore. i went to a different chiropractor who kept saying just keep coming back it'll get better. well....no it didn't. went to a regular doctor who ordered me an mri and it showed L5 herniation. have had first epidural which relieved me for 5 days, then it came back. just had 2nd epidural yesterday and it hasn't kicked in yet. next mon i have an appointment to talk to a surgeon.
where i see a difference with most people on here is that i have complete strength in my leg and the pain is only in my buttock and hamstring area, not in my lower leg or back and no numbness. i've been out of work for over a month now, and am not able to do normal stuff, not only pain wise but for fear of making it worse. i'm at my wits end here.
i wonder if there is a chance at a quicker recovery from surgery due to a less severity?

• i have the exact same symptoms and that is about how it came on... soreness first then crazy pain causing me to limp. this has been going on for about 8 months. have an appt with the surgeon monday and i'm hoping to just schedule the discectomy.

i've heard nothing but great results from people that have had it done outside of this forum. i think the reason people come here to post about it is because they had a bad experience! :))(
  • my opionion if you get help now and not wait and make it worse,because your back will try to hill itself ,then nerves get smashed or pinched.and then real problems start,i wouldnt think twice about it let them fix now you be better off,and the shots ive had them and never helped the first time ever,i alif l4-l5 and still got have something done with l-3,but where i was denied medical treatment i could have perment nerve damage.but gl to the both of you.longer you wait worser it will get and longer recovery,,gl
  • Yea the longer you wait the more nerve damage is done,i went 8 months with bad nerve compression and i have had 2 surgries and the nerve damgae looks to be for good.
  • well i went ahead with the discectomy. my decision was due to months of trying the "conservative methods" to no avail. and just knowing i couldn't work in that condition. it's the day after and have no pain in the leg. i have a little numbness in pinkie toe off and on, but was told that'll go away. i couldn't be more happy at this point in time. the surgeon quoted me to be back to work in 4 weeks. his own nurse told me 8-10 weeks, so i'm a bit confused, but happy to be pain free at this time.