Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A fusion story.

Moyamar77MMoyamar77 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone,

My name is Mary Lou & I am currently 27 turning 28 years on November 15. I have undergone 2 spinal fusion surgeries because I had scoliosis. At the age of 16 I had a 'C' shape of 41 degrees and at the age of 19 my curvature turned into an 'S' shape of 25 degrees and 36 degrees in my lumbar. At this point I decided to take action (age 20) and had my first fusion from T12-L5 featuring 2 rods qnd 12 screws. Unfortunately for variing reasons my fusion was unsuccessful. Immediately after the surgery within a matter of maybe 3 months one of my screws broke and then slowly but surely the dismantle of my spine began.
6+ years later at 27, I have found that my broken screw has turned into screws entering if not already in my nerve canal, a lose screw, 2 detioratrd discs and pain that literally limited my function ability- I mean it took me down! After investigations I again was faced with surgery. This time the doctor I chose, which has been fantastic with me, had to intervene and opted for anterior and posterior fusions and extended my fusion from T12 up one level to T11 and from L5 down one level to S1 and into my pelvic bone. To replace my disc he opted to placing 2 titanium cages into each disc and places small screws to hold everything in place.

I am currently 5 months post-op and no where near fused, still in pain, with limited mobility, just recently received the OK to start limited physical therapy and trying to keep the faith and remain positive. Honestly if I could go back to my 19 year old self I would have opted to not have this surgery because it seems my current doctor would have advised me against it at my stage and given me other options before jumping into surgery just to get paid (God forgive me). I do not regret my decisions and I know I will be better.

Waiting patiently to fuse. Thank you for your time. :-)

• Hindsight is wonderful, but at 20, all you could do was trust your surgeon's advice.

With such a huge surgery, as you would know, there's a lot of healing to undergo, but with the support of your current surgeon, I hope you will eventually fuse and have less pain.

You're a brave lass, so do keep the faith.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • What a fusion story! Broken screw and all!
    My prayers are with you! O:) >:D< :)