Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from Texas

S for StacySS for Stacy Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm a newbie here, just thought I'd stop by and say hello and introduce myself.

I'm female, 48, and have scoliosis (wore a Milwaukee brace for several years in adolescence), kyphosis, degenerative disk disease in both neck and lower back, arthritis -- well, just all kinds of screwed up spine-wise!

I'm scheduled for cervical fusion surgery on April 15, although there is a chance it may be moved up to April 12 (please, God!). The degeneration in my neck is compromising my spinal cord and causing pain (sometimes quite severe -- had a killer bout of it the last couple of days, but better today), so the doc is going to do three fusions -- C4-C7. I am praying this will give me the major relief I desperately need.

I'm glad I found this site -- while of course I'll address major questions to my doc, I'm sure I'll be needing some "been there, done that" encouragement from other folks who have been down this path before me!

• Hi Stacy

Glad you found us. Lots of friendly and encouraging people here.

You sound like you've been through the mill most of your life.

I'm a lumbar person, so can't give you encouragement about your surgery coming up, except to say that I hope it goes well and that you eventually get the relief that you need. Hope it can be put forward to the 12th.

Looking forward to hearing how your surgery goes when you're able to post.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Welcome fellow Texan! :) Not only do we have our location in common, we also have cervical and lumbar degeneative issues to boot. I hope you get the surgery date you are hoping for. Please keep us posted on your progress and I pray you have a quick recovery.

• Thanks, both of you! Yeah, this has been a rough few days, the head/neckache from h*ll, so I am definitely looking forward to (hopefully!) getting this fixed. Even partial relief is better than none at all!

I appreciate the prayers, LM! (Looks like a UT Longhorn on your avatar -- my son got accepted to UT for this Fall, into their Liberal Arts Honors College, majoring in Linguistics -- yay, he's close to home! Hook 'em Horns!)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a great place to come for encouragement and support.

I also had a 3-lvl ACDF at C4-7 and all my symptoms were gone immediately upon waking from surgery. Not sure about yours, but in addition to the severe muscle spasms in my upper back, I had tingling/numbness in my right arm 24/7 and weakness and tennis-elbow-type pain my left arm, also constantly.

I also hope your helps you to feel better. I'm having problems above my fusion, but it's not too bad yet is definitely not caused by the fusion. I had these problems prior to my fusion, they've just gotten worse in the last 2.5 years.

I got a little hooked reading your blog you have in your signature. You say that's all fiction? Is there no Caddie and Phil Murray? Just very curious as it's a gripping story...

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are in pain.. you are fortunate that your doctor feels that surgery is the answer for you... a chance to become pain free!!! please be sure and get a second opinion when it comes to surgery.. the more information you have, the better your outcome.. good luck on a successful surgery and recovery.. stop by the forum during your recovery.. it can make the long days go by a little bit faster.. Jenny :)
  • Cathie, thanks for the compliment on my blog! Yep, it's fiction, no real-life Caddie and Phil Murray (except in my own head, of course, lol). I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Got the word this morning that my surgery is going to be tomorrow (Tuesday) morning bright and early! So I've been running around like a crazy woman all day getting things ready (well, stuff I had to do that had nothing to do with the surgery. I'll have to do that part tonight!)

I'll let y'all know how it goes!
  • Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Please, please do keep us posted. Good luck to you - been there, sorta, so I'm looking forward to your first post-op post.

PS I'd read the Phil and Cad book. :-)
  • I pray your surgery was a success and that you find the relief you are looking for. Keep up posted!

Congrats on your sons acceptance into UT. What an honor! We bleed burnt orange around our house! Great school!