Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any One Else Have This Type Of Bruising & Swelling After Bone Graft From Surgery?

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I had my Anterior neck fusion and bone graft on March 30th. I spent 5 days in the hospital due to bleeding from bone graft site. Has anyone else experienced problems from their bone graft site? They took it this time from the front of hip. This is April 10th and my hip is all bruised from the front clear around to my buttock, and I have so much swelling I can hardly walk on that side. I am planning on calling my Dr. on Monday, but just would like to know if anyone else had a similar experience? I am a female age 60, and I had a previous lumbar fusion last July, and the bone was harvested from the opposite hip in the back.

• I have had it taken from both anterior and posterior. The anterior was far more painful and yes I had swelling and bruising at a month out still. I was actually lost the limp before all the swelling and bruising went down. But I did start a walking program the second day after surgery and just cried through the pain knowing if I didn't get it moving it would only tighten up more. But if you think it is bad do call and ask you surgeon about it.
  • Looks like they took it from the Ileck(sp) in the front . He said my bones were soft. I even have very dark purple bruise size of softball just above the pelvic region. I'll try ice again. Having osteporosis and Osteoarthritis doesn't help.