Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Maxed out....

MagillaMMagilla Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone, just wanted some decent input if anyone can help. I have had chronic back/leg pain with a history of blown discs with 3 back surgeries.I have been on Narcotics since 2004 for this. I have been of Fentanyl patch 100mcg/hr every 2 days and Oxycodone IR 10 mgs every 4-6 hrs with a max of #6 per day. I was referred to a another PM from my PM for a intrathecal pain pump. The new PM talked me into trying a SCS which failed. It took awhile to get through the process of getting approval and following through with the SCS trial,in the meantime it had been several months since I had my last RF (radiofrequency). By the time I was approved and the time the trial happpened and failed it has been a year since the RF.

Anyway,what I am getting at is now my friggin back pain is outrageous and current pain meds are not working at times. My PM doctor says all clinics have to draw a line in the sand, and at a point which according to him I am at, refuse to increase the narcotic dosageany higher. Is this infact an unwritten rule/protocol within pain management,and if so does it seem reasonable that I have reached the top? I suggested an increse at least until I get the RF (radiofrequency)and then would not need as much. Is that unreasonable as well? I am now awaiting insurance approval along with 2 test shots before I can get the RF injection as well as am awaiting the IntraThecal Pain Pump test that I was origionally referred to this PM for.
tim schroeder

• There is no ceiling on opiate pain medication (tolerance and pain increase being two factors), if you go to the government website you can read a lot about this, however, many Drs have their own limits and what they are comfortable prescribing. Those limits can change from one patient to the next and according to the pts. disease and/or the source or pain generator/s.

If you are awaiting a pain pump, this *may* be a reason your Dr is holding off on increasing your oral medication/s, but I am only speculating. Communication is always the best way to get the proper answer that you need, and your Dr would/should expect nothing less than a few questions at this point.
This discussion has been closed.