Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can't deal with the pain

rdtrrdt Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain

i am a 58 year old woman who up until 4 years ago lived a normal, happy, active life. I planted 20 rose bushes in one weekend and that was the beginning of my problems. I woke up with my neck and upper back stiff and painful. After going to doctor after doctor and pain clinics and PT and steroid shots, I am no better, in fact worse. I have some stenosis and foraminal stenosis C5/C6 and now have lumber stenosis. I have developed neuropathic pain and wake up evety day with burning all over my body, my arms, leg, hands, feet as well as back pain and arm pain. I have tried neurontin (allergic), nortyptilline (makes me very anxious), cymbalta (got diverticultis) and Lyrica (could not move I was a zombie). After many neurology appointments I went to a rheumatologist who said I now have fibromyalgia, basically widespread pain. I also have IC. I am beyond knowing what to do or where to go. I can no longer drive, can no longer work, and am in pain from morning to night. Perhaps if I would have had my neck fixed a few years ago I would not have developed widespread pain and now the doctors say don't get surgery, it will make me worse. I am not looking for narcotic meds, I just want to get better. I am depressed, I am scared and mostly I can no longer deal with the constant pain, day in and day out. is there anyone out there who had widespread pain and still had spine surgery? Did it help or is it too late once you develop fibromyalgia? I am terrifed of surgery and terrified that that it is possible to actually get worse after surgery. I am losing my ability to deal with this pain. I can't cook,can't clean my house, I am just existing, trying to deal with the pain. I live in MA. I would go to a hospital and check in but I honestly don't know where to go where they would not think I am crazy. I would love to find a hospital where I could check in and let them figure out what is wrong and help me. I am so scared.

• I just wanted to say hello and welcome to spine-health.
    I am so sorry that you are having so much pain. You have come to the right place. There are wonderful members here who have been very helpful to myself.

I do not have fibromyalgia,so don't have answers for you, just want to let you know that we care. I too have constant terrible pain and am currently awaiting surgery.

Wishing you all the best, and hope that you may get some relief.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Well Hellooooo-you are not crazy. You are in pain and maybe you are letting it make you a little batty because you are not dealing with it, but that is not crazy.. just one of the stages we go through as a chronic pain patient. You do need to have a serious discussion with your Dr about how your pain is ruining your life, how you are feeling emotionally, and let your Dr(s) help you manage the symptoms so that you can then begin to deal with the root of your issues.

You have been a member here for a year and a half, but have not been very vocal, and that has me wondering if you keep things to yourself in your real life as well. It can be very difficult for some of us to open up about the things that have changed in our lives, but until we do we cannot get the proper help that we need. I know because I was like that myself at one time.
    There is nothing wrong with taking pain medication if you are in pain. I don't believe a person should suffer when there are so many medications out there that are made that can help us live a better, more productive life. Whether it be OTC, Nsaids, or opiate pain medication, it does not matter..whatever works, and as long as a person takes their medication for the right reason and as prescribed there is no reason to deny yourself or anyone the pain relief that we all deserve. I only say this because you said that you were not looking for narcotic pain medication, it would not matter to me if you were.
    Your Dr(s) should be treating your symptoms *and* looking for ways to improve your health. If they are not doing this, maybe you need a new Dr.
  • There are several things you can do. But first off I would sit down and make a list of all the pains you have and what is the worst of the pain. Keep a journal of the pain your having and try to relate to which pain is the worst and causing you the most issues. Also what you do that makes the pain worse and or better. Keep track of the type of pain like burning pins and needles, stabbing, sharp and so on. Spines can create some very odd pains. Then I would take a second page and make a list of all the treatments you have had and what helped and what didn't help. How old are your MRI images? I would look in your area for a physiatrist not just a pain management doctor. Gather all your information and see what they have to say and what type of treatment plan you could create together to make your life more manageable.

How many surgery consults did you have? If it was only one I would get two or three. Are you using any muscle relaxers? What other types of meds have you tried? There are so many medications out on the market and sometimes you have to work with them for awhile to find the right blend for your pain. The one thing with chronic pain is you have to always keep looking for a way to keep the pain under control. I find myself with one thing working one day and then not the next. But I have a pretty full tool box to help with the pain. I have meds, ten's unit, massage therapy, injections, aroma therapy, rest, changing positions and the list goes on.

Hopefully you will get with a doctor that can find somethings that will help.
  • i am sorry that you are struggling .and i can't offer any advice as i am down in the dumps with pain and lack of sleep myself .i really dont know how we are supposed to cope with years of continuous pain .i really dont
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Very sorry rdt. Yes i still have wide spread pain and i had multiple back surgery, I have more pain now then before surgery. The localized nerve pain now along with wide spread pain. My dr at 1 time also said dont let anyone do surgery on ya. But after discogram showed i had leaking disc i finaly had surgery and thats all she wrote,

I been worse ever sense, I think maybe trying massage with accupuncture and adjusting mentaly to just try to get beter without surgery is always smart way to go, When symptoms become so overwhelming where you cant manage my chiro always helped me with deep massage and then i continued my excercise at home just enough to get by on a litle releif. Its harder to do that now after surgery,

I think many dr"s confused symptoms saying its fibro or myoficial pain once you injure your spine because all the pain that causes all the other nerves to flare up and they have close symptoms i think, I think many are told after back or neck injury they have fibro but personaly i am not believer in what they say when it comes to that, Good luck and i hope this helps and you are able to get some releif, Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • You certainly need to get your pain under control and this means going back to the pain clinic and the rheumatologist. They need to evaluate you and get you back to functioning again. I also have Fibro and have had multiple back surgeries and quite honestly I feel scared about having more surgery. I have a fear of blood pressure cuffs LOL. For now, try using ice packs and heating pad and get on phone and make an appt asap. I hope you get to feeling better soon and take care
This discussion has been closed.