Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right Knee OA, Lower Back Pain, Sciatica, Bulging Disc..

bintu.namlbbintu.naml Posts: 4
Salam and Good Day,

I'm New here..37 years old mother to one daughter. Currently working as accountant. I've been diagnosed as having right knee OA - taken fluid injection in Jan 2011 after several steroid injections for the past 3 years. Then, early Jan 2011 I have been hospitalised due to multiple disc bulges from L2-L5, impingement nerve roots @ L5 S1 and bilateral L4. This is the results from the MRI.

- Right knee OA - since 2008 due to fall incident n active sports

- Bulging Disc - Do not know whether it was cause by the nature of work (long sitting) or due to fall injury..:(

All of the above restricted my movements. I drove myself to work. Really painful for the sciatica probs. I cant walk more then 1/2 hr.I cant sit more then an hour. The condition nuch more worsen if i'm driving in long hours (due to traffic jammed)huhu..:(

Dr gave me analgesic medicine (tramadol, arcoxia, lyrica n paracetemol) - no risk aa? too much pain killer..hehe

I also required to attend the fisio session twice a month.

Dr monitored me thru monthly appointments n he suggested to do epidural injections if after 6 months period i'm still having leg pain - due to the impingement problems.

a) Can somebody share with me the experience? Then after epidural what next?

b) Does the operations needed n is that a good option?

c) What is the best alternative to make the employer/my boss understand my condition? I already gave them my medical report...but still..it lead me to feel stresssss..

• Sorry to hear what you're going through.

When I first had my l5-S1 herniated disc I had to go for Physiotherapy first but more often than twice a month. Then I had epidurals a round of 3 with nerve blocks and trigger point injections for muscle spasms and had a little relief about 40% but the it wore off and the next year had more injections with only 20% relief but some people have better relief and some have none. I had to go on Short Term Disability then Long term disability and don't know if you have that option where you work so you can spend time healing with Physiotherapy and rest and walking?

I went for second opinions with the Pain Management Dr. and an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Neurosurgeon and also saw a Neurologist for the numbness in my leg and foot.

I would see about your knee also and see an Orthopedic Surgeon who's specialty is knees. My husband had to wait a year to see if his knee got better than had an MRI and arthroscopic surgery and is doing better but each Orthosurgeon has a more personalized treatment.

Also I felt bad that I went on disability as I wanted to work and not disappoint my Boss but I had no choice as I could not go back to work and felt guilty at first. But you have to think of yourself and how to get better. I also do well with a cane during walking exercise and that may help you for walking but the Physiotherapist could help you with that.

So I'm just sharing my story as a spine injury person and not giving medical advice. It's hard to say whether a fall or continual sitting at your job caused your disc issues. Mine was from repetitive lifting, bending, twisting at my job. Best wishes and hope the treatment helps you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry, for sharing your experience...It is a difficult phase to go through it alone. I think its best to share with the people who has similar experience with me..n at least i can predict/plan what will happen next...rather than sobbing n tensioning hehe

But true..it lead me to cry every now n then i cant lift my dobby basket..i cant do mopping as usual..maybe need assistant to do my housework..i cant do my shopping for long hours..like window shopping in IKEA huhu..I do feel numbness@ my right toes. I cant wear shoes (fully covered) except sandals.

Currently, I also do a traditional method of pain relief such as massage n accupunture..

By having health problem, I planned to retire early at the age of 45 or maybe earlier..
  • :? Hi Im Skully313 female age 49. I had a severe accident 4 years ago and several falls which left me disabled badly beside me having Dysthymic Disorder which is (LIFELONG DEPRESSION)I was hit by a teenager 75 miles an hr put in a huge postal truck and tore off a fire hydrant and front porch.Needless to say i was just going round the block to old address to get mail in my night time clothes. The explorer was just bought and we did;nt even get a chance to get insurance and it had the old owners plate on it still. So i got no compensation for my now severe sciatica,Acute pain daily on my left side and neck and lower back. My reg MD Dr gave me Norco, Neurotin and Xxnax and Prozac, Maxside for my high blood pressureand Ms Contin 30mg. He upped my prozac from 20mg to 40 its not working plus im going thru the change of life . My depression seems to be worst and the Prozac isnt working.My pain is soooo bad i just at my wits end any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated, Thanks so kindly! Skullt313