Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 days post op ALIF

hello everyone

Thought i'd do a small update.

I feel im doing well, small walks around house and down the street and back (literally takes less than 5 mins). Im finding everyday, i feel a different pain. The last couple of days ive been reducing pain medication, but today im back on gabapentin.

I came off gabapentin immediately from the fusion and had no leg pain. today,wow, has it come back with avengence! both legs electric. has anyone else experienced a return of leg pain so soon?
im hoping its a temporary thing, and have been stretching my legs because they feel tight.

My back pain is reducing :) :), but it easily pulls if you know what i mean. i can be pottering and suddenly i get an electric shock at the disc area and it hurts, but then wears off. its like it whips to let me know to be careful.

thanks for reading and i wish all well with their recoveries.
L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
ALIF l5/s1 2011
Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013

• You're doing really well and doesn't it feel good to be walking around again.

I finished the Gabapentin I was given from the hospital. Would be a good idea to keep on all your meds for now, especially as you do more walking.

As your spine adjusts to its new position, you will feel pain in different parts of the body, but it usually goes. I had a one level ALIF, and the leg pain I had from L4-5 went straight away but I was left with a restless leg and doing short walks day and night was the only thing that relieved it. For a while I still had leg pain from L3-4 and L5-S1 and hip pain, but it eventually went.

The post-op back pain took 6-7 months to go and even now at nearly 17 months out, I still have to be careful with the amount of activity I do, but overall I've got a really good result.

Keep on resting and walking with some very gentle stretching and keep letting us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi trish

im really surprised on how much mobility i have,considering my previous op (microdiscectomy)i couldnt walk proper or drive til the 3 month mark!certainly feels good until you get that pain that says "time to lie down" :)

i too only had one level, but at l5/s1. Im so relieved to hear it has a chance of going eventually. Ive just been reading your signature, so happy for you to have a successful alif, hope i join you :)

ive just been for a potter and it helped my leg pain a little, hmm wonder if its restless legs like you had.

ive not had my MST (morphine slow release) today, first time in 7 months since ive been on it. so far, im totally good without it, got it ready though incase my body shouts at me later.

thanks for replying.
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • I too had much better mobility after the fusion than the discectomy and that really surprised me.

That restless feeling on the outside of my leg which was where the pain was before went after a few months. It was like my leg was telling me to keep moving. I guess it was more of a nuisance and I didn't put any weight on

Now that your weather's getting warmer, that should help to lift your spirit. My recovery was during Spring/Summer and it really helped being out in the sunshine in the early mornings.

Looking forward to your next update.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008