Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Surgery 4/27/11

SportsfrkSSportsfrk Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease in 1996 when I got into a car accident while in the Navy. The therapy they put me through was painful but seemed to help. I was a very active 36 year old male until May of 2010 when it seems that I re-injured my back. I went through many Facet Injections, Burning of the Nerves, Chiropractor and other painful requirements that my Anesthesiologist/Pain Management Doctor in D.C. prescribed. I transferred with the government to Washington State and the Surgeon here agreed with the guys in D.C. in that I need Spine Fusion of L4-l5. My wife is an M.D. and she will be home during my recovery but I am very afraid of the surgery mostly because I don’t know what to expect. I agreed with the Doctor because my legs fall asleep, there weak and they hurt but this doesn’t include the pain my back is in. I have been given the options of being cut through my abs or through my back. I was told by the Doctor that the procedure through the front has a very small chance of me coming out not being able to have children but recovery, in my shape, can be cut in half. I need to make a sound decision by my pre-op appointment on 4/14/11. Can anyone give me real life experiences with both scenarios?

Degenerative Disk Disease
36/male/very active athlete & powerlifter
Fusion Surgery Scheduled– 4/27/11

• hello sports i had alif jan 4 2011 ,which the doctor didnt give me a choice,i also have Degenerative Disk Disease
    they went through my stomach and i think comparsion alif is shorter recovery time,i was sore in my stomach the pain med was a must as long you can take them you be fine,i got up next day and walked and made them take the catheter out,if i spelled that right lol.im 3 half months out no bending no twisting,no lifting over 5 pounds,im still sore in my stomach so you cant over do it,
    now compare to the back they mess with your back muscles and stuff and its lot longer recovery.
    and sore lot longer with muscle spasms,
    now in my case my nerves was crushed for 2 years and im waiting on my nerves to heal,but im still having some svere left leg and foot pain,
    but over all im glad they went through the front from what ive read on here.
    and ide never had any surgery till my back was scared to death morning of i ask for something for my nerves and the nurse gave me pain med and nerve med sure helped out alot.big thing is dont cough or sneez if you can help it and keep the cut clean i took shower every day and kept the surgery cut clean and done good,
    you will have a pain pump dont be scared to push it,and they also gave me 2 percocet 10 every 4 hours
    and got them to let me go home ,48 hours in the hospital was over and done with,,any other questions i might can answer ide be glad to.im sure im leaving something out.good luck and good health to you.