Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T6-T7, T7-T8 discotomy

promodlightningppromodlightning Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
After 6 months of pain, I am being scheduled for this discotomy procedure in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone here has had it done and can give me some insight on what to expect. Recovery time, pain etc. The Doc basically said he will be removing my herniations via laser.

• wow thats good :)
    can you tell me where?
    i think you are not alowed post the name and link here so please send me a private message!! PLEASE
    im also suffering from t6 t7 herniation....
  • Please keep us posted on your recovery as well as the procedure. T- problems and surgery is more rare.

My Pain Manager had recomended that I go to Colorado for the same procedures (subcutaneous discectomy)but my NS said no- I have prior fusions and he thinks I should have more fusions.

I am very interested in your case. I have been in this pain for almost a year. It has gotten progressively worse.

Good luck,

• I just had surgery to removed and fuse T11-12. My surgeon did a great job and I am very happy with the results so far. It was a lot less pain after surgery then I anticipated. When talking with my surgeon about how to proceed before surgery he recommended staying away from laser surgery as it is still too new of a procedure to chance in the Thoracic area since it is such an enclosed area and the spinal cord is present in this portion of the spine. I had the XLIF which is fairly minimal compared to the open thoracotomy approach. They went in through the left side and did have to deflate the left lung but didn't have to remove ribs as most doctors do. I spent five days in the hospital for monitoring and also had a drain tube in for the first three days to let air escape as my lung expanded back to normal. I was up and walking the day after surgery. I looked at this site before my surgery and found very little on the thoracic area and what I did find was all bad experiences with surgery so it worried me before having it done. Now I can say I am happy with the decision to proceed with it. I know it will be a long road to recovery but so far it is better than expected and I am functioning normally in daily life. I am still not aloud to lift anything over 10lbs but my energy is back to normal and I can play with my 2yr old daughter again.
  • I can give an update on my post op, at three months my doctor said I am doing excellent in recovery and I can now lift up to 40lbs. I also start physical therapy next week to help strengthen the lower back due to wearing the back brace for the last three months. I still have the pain in my left side with numbness on the surface but that is expected and can take quite a while to heal and calm down. I have been doing yard work for the last month which includes mowing the yard with no problems. Sitting for long periods sets off some pain and sleeping is still an issue if I don't take sleep aids. I am still very happy with the progress though.
  • Post Deleted - Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 07/07/11

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Numbskull