Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 2 level Surgery Tomorrow

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I have had my last meal, took a dip in my hot tub and will head off to bed. Surgery is tomorrow bright and early. I am so ready. Thank you all for the education and support. I will post when I am able.

Pain free wishes to all...

• Sue -
    Just wanted to wish you good luck before your surgery. I'm a lumbar, not a cervical but I know what it feels like to be so ready for surgery. I wish you a safe surgery, gentle care, and a good recovery. Post when you can.

Blessings to you,
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • Hi sue :wave:

my prayers will be with you and I will be watching for your updates :hug:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Good luck on surgery tomorrow. Be sure to let us know how you are, as soon as you are able. I sure hope you find what some have that the nerves are worse than the pain. Be sure to take some throat lozenges with you and don't forget the bendy straws. Good luck and take care.
  • Godspeed. I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Positive thoughts and energy that all goes well. Please let us know how it went, and how you're doing when you can!! Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Best Wishes!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Praying for a successful surgery and a full speedy recovery for you!
    Once you are well enough, please give us an update.

• Wishing you all the best. Take care, rest, heal. Please update us when you are able.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • All is well, only good will follow.
    I'll be thinking of you.
  • It's not that bad but sure feels good! I'm a feisty one and was working (at home) just two days later. I'm 14 days post-op and drove to work every day this week 34 miles each way! Only had to take 2 days off but I'm not a very bright person. I have been taking it easy so I don't want to imply I haven't. I write software so no labor involved. I wish you the VERY BEST of luck. The nurses were so cool (AND FUN) where I was that they gave me as much waterice as I wanted. Your throat will be a tad tender and it's not that bad but it feels basically like you have a sore throat and may be a bit dry. At least that was my experience. I had the same EXACT surgery you are having, C5 thru C7. I have six screws inside and if you knew me it's pretty "telling." Most people would concur I have a "few screews loose" now they can mean it literally! Just wanted to make you smile. Nothing to be scared of and I'm conident you will be much happier. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. BTW - ask about those bone growth stimulators. Like I mentioned in other posts my doc believes I could be fused as early as 5/27, my next check-up. I'm a college football official so itching to be given the all-clear. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers!
  • Sue - Sending good thoughts your way. Had the same surgery 3 weeks ago. Totally available to answer any questions as they come. Pain pills, heating pad, recliner were my best friends. Take care, Amy
  • amos said:
    Sue - Sending good thoughts your way. Had the same surgery 3 weeks ago. Totally available to answer any questions as they come. Pain pills, heating pad, recliner were my best friends. Take care, Amy
    Sue, I was thinking of you on the drive this morning. It's amazing out I feel like I know some of you. :-) Any way was wondering if your procedure had started and was hoping you were doing OK.

Amy, we're a week apart - I'm just 2 weeks yesterday. I was just saying how my throat still feels tight. Basically it feels "smaller" and more difficult to swallow unless food chewed up pretty well. You get the same thing? Hoping perhaps that will go away. Also, is your brace off? I was given the green light to remove at 9 days but carry it with me. Put it on a couple of hours at work today and planning to wear to Phillies game tomorrow. I still feel vulnerable around a lot of people.
  • Your in my thoughts and prayers good luck doll
  • Hi all. I am home and came home Thursday, one day after my ACDF. I am a bit overwhelmed because I don't think they had their act together at the hospital and rushed me out before the oral drugs were tested more than the swallow test.

The good news is my pre-surgical pain and numbness seem to be gone. The bad news is the throat pain and swallowing (fully expected) with phlem I can't clear due to the spsams and pain.

I have difficulty swallowing, even liquids. Can't sleep in the bed because the swelling chokes me (not the pain or difficulty getting in or out). I only need the collar outside the house, but I have worn it when I felt I needed to give the muscles a break. I have some major bruises and some post op depression developing. I was sent home with the same dose of dilaudid I am already on, and instead of the flexeril I have valium. The flexeril in the hospital stopped working. They were arguing over xanaflex vs valium in the hospital but there was no time to test it because they were kicking me out since they needed the bed.

Any how, I wanted to give you all a quick update. i will post again when I can.. Sue
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Cepacol lozenges or spray work well for throat irritation. I needed them for 3-5 days.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Sue - glad you are home and unfortunate to hear the hospital issues. I feel extremely lucky in that regard and couldn't say enough nice things about hospital and staff. On the throat thing I'm telling you if you like waterice give it a shot! Just small shavings from frozen water ice really soothed my throat. Like I said I'm over 2 weeks post-op and still have some difficulty swallowing but not in any pain of any kind. I do get aches from time to time. One thing that also worked for me is I put a pile of pillows in such a way to get my body on an "angle" in bed. One huge pointer: The nurse told me to get a pillow that supports my shoulder blades as well. That way the pillow won't "push" my head up. I think you get the idea.

Also, you should talk to your doc but they told me no advil, ibuprofin, and a host of other things that prevent bone fusion. Tylenol-PM was the advice from the doc himself and it helped me relieve aching symptoms and helped me sleep.
  • Sue,

Welcome to "the other side!!" Glad to hear all went well, and you are home. In addition to what was suggested for your throat, I found that soft foods, yogurt, ice cream, tea with lemon soothed pretty well.

As for sleeping, I found my recliner to be my best friend on my first fusion. Propping pillows made me hurt more, but the recliner - heaven! Try to rest, walk when you can, rest some more - and follow doctors orders! Welcome home!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.