Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF 7 weeks ago today!

patgibson93ppatgibson93 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello All!
I cannot believe today marks 7 weeks since my surgery! Wow!

As Spring is finally getting started here in the mountains of Virginia, I feel like I'm getting started too. I have ventured outside and started walking around the block every evening. I found out that I walking on the street is easier than walking in the sidewalk. The cracks hurt. I guess it's just a tiny little change that jars my back. Anyway... I stay out of traffic & walk with my husband.

I think my good days are really outnumbering my bad ones. There has been a couple of nights that were a little rough, but on the whole my meds are covering pain. If you missed my post last week, my surgeon has ordered more rest until mid-May when I see him again. He will decide then if I can start PT. He's directing my care personally & I really appreciate that. He is THE surgeon if you need spine procedures. He gives an honest assessment of what to expect & he does not do surgery if he feels that there is a reasonable expectation of improvement. I have a pain management doc who has had the responsibility for meds following release from the hospital.

Yes, it's slow going, but I'm so happy I've had the surgery. From where I started this is so much better. I'm happy to rest, walk, eat healthy foods, & heal. My energy level is getting better (it was non-existent prior to surgery) and I anticipate more improvement. Sitting is still not comfortable & standing is still difficult for any real length if time. That's ok. Baby steps every day!

A positive attitude has served me well. I think it is one of the mist important factors in my recovery. Oh yes it's tough. But I'm tougher! Even if I were to plateau here and this was it pain-wise, I'd be content. Don't get me wrong - that's not what I expect, but my glass would still be half full. I'm better than before surgery. I have a wonderful doctor who has given me the best opportunity for a better life. My duty is to heal and determine my future. Baby steps forward! Rest when needed but don't stop & give up. Keep going!

Pat Gibson
L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
Now L4 Retrolisthisis

• For you Pat! It is so nice to hear what a great place you are in and your positive attitude is serving you well! I hope you continue to grow stronger & better each day. Continue to proceed at your own pace and let your body & NS lead the way to a full recovery.

• wow!!! This is all wonderful !!!! :)

Makes me want to check and see if my insurance will pay for a Dr out of my state when I am ready for my surgery ( I live in pa ) ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Pat

Wow you are doing so well and enjoying walking around the block with your husband in the evenings. Being able to get out in the fresh air is so good for the soul, isn't it!

It took a long time before I could sit and stand for longer periods.

Enjoy your lovely Spring weather.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008