Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Compression fractures with chronic DDD

jwentzdvmjjwentzdvm Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi to all. I am coming to this site for support because I know that unless you have experienced back pain, you really don't understand.

A brief history: Have experienced back pain since 2002 when injured during lifting a dog (I am a veterinarian). Had 2 pregnancies after injury, so that did not help.

2005 diagnosed with DDD at L5/S1 and treated with steroid epidurals X 3--moderate relief--was recommended for disc replacement/fusion--I declined

2008--Torn annular ligaments L3-5 with mild herniation at L3/4 and SI pain while lifting a dog (again). Again treated with steroid epidurals, which was mildly helpful.

2/5/11 I was taking a box down my basement steps and tripped on a cord so I basically launched down all the steps and landed in a seated position (trying to protect arms, legs and head). I felt the explosion in my T/L region. I ended up with compression fractures of T10 and T11 and torn ligaments at T9. I also aggravated my pre-existing lumbar/sacral issues.

I was in the ICU for 5 days and went home in a custom TLSO which I have been in since then. I am now in PT 3 times a week to regain strength.

I have horrible reactions to narcotics, so have been on only Tylenol since week 2. Have had 2 steroid injections for L4/5 pain and radiculopathy in addition to being in the brace.

I need someone to tell me that still feeling pain (level 3-5) on a regular basis at the fracture site is normal 9 weeks out, and to give me some hope that I will ever have some semblance of normal activity tolerance.

I am getting very discouraged and I am supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks, which terrifies me.

Thanks for reading if you got this far...turns out there is not really a brief history at all! Looking for honest opinions and experiences.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have certainly been through alot as far as injuries and falls goes!! i am so sorry for that! i am not famaliar with your brace but i did want to say hello! please have a good look around the different forums and make yourself at home.. i am sure some spineys will be by to help with your quesions..good luck to you! i do hope you find some pain relief soon.. it is too bad about your reaction to narcotic medications for pain.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Wow...You're job is really physically demanding. I would be terrified to return, also.
    I have a screwed up back..but never surgery. When I have had some treatments...epidurals..what have you..when feeling the pain lessened.. I feel able.. so I do stuff like lifting, bending...things I have been instructed not to do..and then of course I suffer intense pain afterwards.
    No matter how I feel I need to always try to "stay aligned"..no bending, twisting, lifting. The pain is so awful even without the aggrevation to the back.
    I live in a pain of 6-8 usually everyday. It gets on my nerves..it's so exhausing and a full time job trying to control it.
    I had to quit work..2 1/2 years now. I just can't do it.
    My answer may not be useful since I haven't had surgery..I just wanted to share..and let you know that the unbelievable pain...you're not alone.
    Take care, Julie!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History