Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Depression and Coping
This is a bit of a rant. Over the weekend I was in the ER..9 hours Sat and then back on Mon for 11 to continue testing. The reason I went had nothing to do with my back. This is my *issue* every dr and nurse felt it necessary to talk down to me because of my pain medications! THere I sat in an immense amount of pain and having to justify why I take my medications to them! What bs. One dr went as far to tell me "My back hurt so much one time that I couldn't put my socks on..but I refused to get an mri because you know the only reason they do those are to see if you're a candidate for surgery"...My response..(I was already crying my face off) "Well your back obviously didn't hurt as much as you said it did..oh and you're walking fine now, must be nice".
I hate the medical community right now. Just feeling terrible that they made ME feel like I was a wimp or that I was trying to pull a fast one..even though I actually REFUSED any pain meds for the reason I was there.
It's so frustrating..and on top of everything else I have a new disorder to deal with. GRRRRRReat :)
thanks for listening

• I think we all been thru that with differson DR. Just because a few is seeking drugs the rest of us has to suffer the pain. Just hang it there.

• Been there, done that, hang in there, it gets better. When? Idon't know, but I do know it gets better! hate pain, makes me crazy! >:D< :)
  • I don't understand. If you were not at the ER for a pain related reason, why you or the Dr were discussing your pain and your pain medication/s. Did you refuse an MRI or were you there to get one, and if so, who ordered it to be done over the weekend? What is your new disorder?

Often-times, when patients go to the ER over the weekend, when many hospitals have small crews working long hrs. they can get touchy about *anyone coming in for reasons other than those that are considered emergencies. Any time the person mentions pain to the tired Dr or nurse and especially on a weekend, it is a red flag. This is a time when the patients Dr is closed and the patient cannot call their Dr to help them manage their pain. Hospital crew are use to this, and though it is no excuse, we CPP have to be aware of this so that if a weekend is coming up and our pain is getting worse we need to contact our Drs., otherwise we might find ourselves in this situation.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in major pain, but I have never utilized the ER for any reason other than a true emergency. We have all heard these stories and know that we might be treated in a less than respected manner if we happen into an ER in pain on the weekend. Unless my life is in jeopardy I will and have suffer at home, rather than be put through the indignities of the ER-for pain treatment.
    Please don't misunderstand me, I am an advocate for PM and patients in pain, and there is often no excuse for the way that some Drs treat patients.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...I so hear you. Going to the ER is like torture..
    Even when I was there having my stroke..they were talking down to me and concerned about the pain meds.
    Other times I've gone to ER is when pain is totally out of control. It's like I need to get "rebooted" and the I.V. meds for pain and nausea take the edge off.
    When leaving the ER one time the nurse even commented, "You're still limping."
    I'm like thinking...noone is listening to a word I say.
    In my experience, it's a rare thing to find a good doctor. Thank God my pain doc gets me! I hope he lives well and never leaves his practice...selfish me :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Daisy if I understand correctly you went to the ER for a non back related issue, but had to give them a list of all your meds and when they seen your pain meds that is when the jerk dr started in on you?

I have had to go to the ER a few times for non back medical help and like you always refuse their additional pain meds.

I can say that so far I have been treated very well - so I can't fully understand what you went through. However I can image how horrible it was ! :hug:

When I have went to the ER I am always a bit concerned that I will have to deal with one of "those" type of Drs. :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I can honestly say that am truly offended by your response Robin. I don't feel it necessary to divuldge my "new issue" to you. It WAS an emergency and obviously they thought so too if I had ct done and a battery of u/s and labs and other testing.
    And how can you predict that your pain will only happen to M-F and not on the weekend.(which here in Cananda we have a family dr shortage and MY family dr only does 3 1/2 days a week) Your tone was incredibly rude and I felt as though I was being cross examined..ummm NO THANKS.

MsHumptyDumpty you hit the nail on the head ;)
    Anytime you go anywhere for medical treatment..even to have blood drawn you have to tell them what meds you're on and why..it's that simple.
  • Daisy Mae,

I can soooo relate to your anger at the doctors and the ER. Back in 2002 I collapsed at home in severe pain - unknown to me, I had a large tumor that was strangulating. 911 was called, and since we live less than 5 miles from the hospital, the EMT's suggested that my husband take me in!! What a waste.

We get to the ER, check in and we sit and we sit and we sit...I then collapsed right there in the ER, on the floor and they LEFT ME THERE on the floor! My husband went ballistic! They finally scoop me up, give me IV morphine and send me up for CT and Ultrasound, plus blood work. Here we go. They tell me I have this large mass and send me home with instructions to see my GYN!

4 hours later at home (104 fever now), I call my hubby at work as I am collapsing again, and we go to another hospital. I had emergent surgery several hours later where a 3lb+ tumor was removed, and a 1/4 of my blood supply was in my abdomen; being told I was about 8 hours from being a morgue resident when I woke up! My trust of the medical field was forever changed after that mess. *HUGZ* I'm sorry you were treated like that.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I apologize for offending you, however it was not my intention to do so. When I went back just now and read what and how I wrote what I did I can see where you might take it that way.
    I'm not making any excuses, but it seems as though I was 'out of character' yesterday and last night-at least a little bit, but nevertheless, I honestly meant no disrespect and I believe every person should be treated with the respect and dignity that they deserve from every medical care provider.
  • Brenda ! OMG !!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Yeah Beth, that was such a fun day and a half when all was said and done! The good part of all of that mess? The hospital made radical changes of their ER policies! I only know that because a friend of mine was in the same ER (the first one) as I after a car accident, and I went to see him. The head nurse recognized me, apologized and told me there were huge changes.

I hope to never test if that is so. If I have a "911" my hubby takes me up the road - we don't even play with this hospital. Now on the flip side, if I have a cardiac episode, I *would* go to that ER - they are excellent in that area! (G) Otherwise, I only go there for imaging and blood work!

• Oh my goodness Brenda! What a horrible ordeal! I'm so happy that you are okay. THey changed policies because of your ordeal? Well..it's terrible that you were the guinea pig but..I'm so happy that maybe it will be a safer hospital. Sheesh! And I thought our hospitals were the pits!
  • It didn't thrill me, and even more so my hubby. When they left me on the floor of the ER waiting room, it was a good thing my hubby wasn't armed! I've never in over 20 years with him *ever* saw him so mad. His screaming pulled me out of my pain for 30 seconds, then I don't remember a whole lot after that.

Our hospitals are usually pretty good. This one has always been on the rough side from what I heard. They are now in a brand new hospital (same staff), and it's a 180 from what I can see - but I haven't been to the ER in years, so nothing to judge by now. (G) I'll still go north if an ER visit is needed - what's that saying? "Once bitten?" But yeah, they changed their policy after the mess with me per the head ER nurse. *Shrug*