Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's complicated

RinrichRRinrich Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Thanks for establishing this forum. I wish I had found it earlier. I am six weeks post L4-5 non instrumented fusion with autologous bone graft from my pelvis due to spinal stenosis in which the bone was squeezing the spinal cord all around.

My health issues are complex and impact my back issues. I have a hereditary heart muscle disease for which I take huge doses of meds, have a defibrillator through which I am paced and which causes right sided heart failure and mild pulmonary hypertension. I also have lung damage from a long history of granulomatous disease, multiple pneumonias including a kind that ends up colonizing the lungs permanently, as well as an obstructive structural lung problem (bronchiectasis) caused by all the above. I have digestive problems caused by having had a very rare kind of pancreatic tumor (the same kind that Steve Jobs had). I also use a CPAP for sleep apnea, have an implanted IV filter because I had pulmonary emboli about 5 years ago, and have become diabetic (take insulin and meds) since the pancreatic problems.

So that's the bad news. The good news is that I laugh a lot, I refuse to stay home, and I try hard to feel more sorry for others than I do for myself.

I have so many questions that I will start with just one here and add others to other threads from time to time. The issue that brought me to this forum is a kind of funny one, but I cannot see it fully addressed elsewhere. I will be in a back brace for 6 months since I had the non-instrumented fusion. This means a long hot summer, I am sure. So I went to Michael's and bought one each of many of their brightly colored t-shirts which they had for $2 last week. Then I went to a second hand store and bought a number of short sleeved, patterned blouses that can effectively disguise my lovely white brace with its bright blue Velcro straps. This week I started wearing these combos with the solid colored t under the brace and the patterned blouse over it. Yesterday a friend who had a family member with a brace said I should not be wearing it with a colored t, only white. Indeed, I recall this being mentioned in the hospital. I also found a mention of this in a thread on this forum, but cannot see much logic to it. People wear colored underwear all the time. How is this different? Is this just a doctor's version of an old wife's tale? Has anyone besides me tried this? If so, did you have any problems? I love my new color combos and hate to give them up for something that does not seem to me to be logical.

• I can't imagine why you couldn't wear a colored teeshirt. The only problem might be if the color runs when you sweat. But if you wash them well before using it should be fine.

But you might want to call your doctor or whoever provided the brace. Who knows .. maybe there is some weird reason. If you find out post it so other know the answer.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in.. i hope your recovery continues to be a success..as for your t shirts, wear what you want!!! clothes are supposed to be fun!! be sure and stop by anytime.. SH can make a long day seem a lot shorter during recovery! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to our forum and I hope you enjoy sharing experiences and thoughts with us.

I don't know about the coloured t-shirts, but if you can find out, please let us know. In the meantime, enjoy wearing your coloured ones.

I hope your recovery continues to go well and sending you >:D< >:D< >:D< for all the other conditions you have to cope with.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008