Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is this normal after ALIF?

hello everyone

Since my alif surgery, ive had so many pains and aches in places to be expected and unexpected. Im doing well with my recovery, had to go back onto my morhine tablets so i can increase my mobility further, but im only 14 days post op.

My issues are shooting and stabbing pains into and around my anus. i also get quite bad contracting pain while my bladder empties.

Quite an embarrassing area, but could anyone relate??
L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
ALIF l5/s1 2011
Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013

• from what i have read and know i would say yes {but check with your consultant } i am due ALIF fusion in sept .and the consultant told me there would be many dark days post operation and your are very early in your recovery ..ALIF surgery is brutal and your body has gone through some major alterations sop its going to take many months for you to get back to some kind of normality .hope all goes well for your recovery but make sure you get yourself checked out if you are worried
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • hi tony

thanks for replying. the first few days post op are rough, not in an unmanageable way (for me anyhow). i suffered really bad with the abdominal bloating, trapped wind. at one point the trapped wind had travelled to my chest and shoulder causing breathing difficulties. the physio were my saviours at that point, got me straight out of bed and walked me. if i have a tip for you it would be peppermint oil in hot water. really worked a treat, i think i drank the hospital dry!

thanks for your advice. im due a trip to physio on monday for my 1st physio check, im going to run it over with them.

L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013