Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

gailforceggailforce Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi,I am 8 weeks post op an Anterior Cervical Disc,with an instrumentation.From C2 to C7,I have had a hard brace on since day of surgery,24/7.I can't seem to get comfortable no matter what I do.I don't get to see my surgeron again until 5/6/2011,at which time I hope he tells me that I may remove my brace.Someone who has gone through the same PLEASE reply,I feel at times as though I will go crazy.
P.S.,Never had surgery before. Thanks,Gailforce :''( :W

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    You had quite a streach of work done. I hope your presurgical symptoms has significantly improved or diappeared. Have they advised you to walk alot?? I know that MANY of our members advocate simply getting out and walking ALOT. Another thought is that I don't know what meds you are on but you my want to consider an anti anxiety med to assist in the "cabin fever" post surgical syndrome. I would STRONGLY suggest that you check in with your primary care doctor or surgeon on both of these issues.

Again Welcome, we are here as much as we are allowed to. (we canont provide advice or reccomendations on what medically to do ..... that is the job of a licensed physician).

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thanks for at least repling to me.No I am not on any anxiety meds,just a pain pill which I only take when I feel like it is unbearable.Walk,I have been walking,doing anything that I would be allowed too,I guess I have alot to be greatful for,but I am so active that for me to have this surgery has just made me feel so useless.I worked 40 plus hours per week at a prison and for me just to sit and lay around makes me feel useless.I do everything that my body allows me too,but still,that's not much at all.Thanks for just letting me know that there is someone out there just to talk too.When does person began to become normal again????I mean how long,My Dr. just says it takes time,I had my surgery on 2/14/2011.I thought that I would aleast have my brace off by now,I will have to wait until 5/6/ to find that out if I can take the brace off,also I feel as though no one tells me what I can do,all they say is rest.Thanks again
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I fully understand what you are feeling ... My best advice is be prepared(at least in the back of your mind)to think about the issue of a "NEW NORMAL".
    Your body and you neck have been through a major surgical assault, and the effect of this occurance can be life long and life changing. I never thought or prepared myself when I went in for a "simple two level ACDF" that my life as I knew it would never be the same.

I am not saying that in your case you may not have a 100% complete recovery and never know on a daily basis that you had this done. (this is my greatest wish for you) BUT .... the most common statisic I see about fusion is 1/3 get better 1/3 remain about the same, and 1/3 get worse. That would mean that there is a 66% chance that your presurical issues will remain or get worse.

I sincerely hope and pray that you are the 1/3 that truely get better and can someday be able to forget that this was ever done.

Spend this time to convelese .... although I is difficult doing little to nothing, but this is what you need to do postsurgically to insure the best results. Have they mentioned PT in any form or fashion and a time frame to begin that??

With Compassion,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• With great understanding that you have given me,I thank-you,I never realized this in that sense of a magnitude.Actually not one person had even prepared me as to what to expect or even have my life would possibly change.The brightness or should I say my celestial body has taken a drastic and most punishable event throughout my body which this is the first time I had ever recognized in such a way before talking to you.Not that I have ever taken advantage of my health,but I never thought of it this way.I just guess that I had approached the situation that they would do the surgery and on my way I would go.Not,there are repercussions that I didn't anticipate would be there.I guess this is going to be a very long hull.I asked my Dr. on my last visit if I could do any exercises or what I could do ,he said REST and that's all,I do ride a motorcycle and was wondering when I would be able to achieve this task? Although when I asked him he just looked at me.I did mention to you that I was overly active before my surgery.I guess now I will have to enjoy just to relax and take it easy...But in my life,I just don't know what that is.....
  • Hi Gail and welcome to the spine forums :wave:

I have not had back surgery so I am no help to you in that area - sorry.

But I fully undrstand about going from being so active to what seems like a sudden stop.

I worked 12 to 15 hrs a day 7 days a week before my back injury. The new normal a lot of times brings with it a griefing. Our lives have been changed forever and that can be very hard to accept.

On 3/15/11 I had both my knees replaced at the same time and as I lay here in my hospital bed bored to the place of going insane lol ;) I am trying to think of crafts projcts, movies and other simple things that I always said if I ever could slow down I would do.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I had a much smaller surgery than you did. Just remember to take it easy. You had a major surgery and your body needs time to heal. Listen to the drs orders and follow them. I know that since my surgery was in the winter I had a hard time not shoveling, putting wood in the fireplace and taking walks outside. If you are able to walk as much as you can. Also keep a journal of any concerning symptoms and what helps or hinders them. Recovery does take a long time and everyone is a bit different. Just have faith in your doctor, but don't be afraid to question him or her. Good luck and and take it slow. :) I only wore a soft collar, but decorated it with a scarf or bandanna. It got yellowed quite quickly even though I was given a sock type item to put around it. The kids in my class always looked to see how I coordinated my scarf with the outfit. Their favorite was tie dyed smile face bandanna.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
    49 year old teacher
    dealt with pain for more than 5 years before finally having surgery.
    tried PT, cervical epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and acupuncture
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit