Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Car accident - Cervical Discography -

BrendieleeBBrendielee Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Here's a question. I was in a rear ended in car accident in 2008 and had terrible neck, shoulder pain, headaches, hand tingling and numbness. I was at a red light waiting for it to turn. I happened to be looking at my lap when I was hit from behind, had no idea it was coming.

After failed treatments I was sent to Ortho

Went to a ortho surgeon and got a cervical discography to which C4-C6 had "cracks" in them. One doc said my neck was broken in these places.

Now, insurance docs said I had DDD and that is why I have pain and not the accident. Can you be walking around with 3 crack discs and not have pain? If so, it never bothered me until the accident. I'm 43 (I was 41 at the time) female with no significant health problems and certainly no severe neck pain and problems

advertisement

Comments

• Are you trying to get the insurance company to pay for the treatments? If so the one thing they will look at is have you ever had any treatments on your neck prior to the accident and if so how long ago. If not then a doctor would need to say that your need for medical treatment is the prevailing factor. Also learn about DDD and it can be caused from trauma. It is not a disease as the word implies. To disapprove their own theory they would need to show prior films or treatments. Treatments can include chiropractor as well.
  • Normally disks aren't described as "cracked" and a broken neck isn't disks - that is the actual bone structure. You might want to get a clarification on what is going on. DDD is in the disks, loss of fluid, loss of height - and can sometimes help induce lots of pain and other symptoms. A broken neck on the other hand is usually dealt with unless the position of the bones are such it will 'self resolve', so I am a little confused as it can make a difference.

Disks bulge, herniate, protrude, experience drying out (DDD) etc. If I was given the verbiage you gave, I would be getting that put in layman's terms to fully understand what is going on, and the expected treatment and medical outcome for you. I've had two MVA's where one the guy was drunk and rear ended me, the other I was almost T-boned when (cops where guessing he was drunk) I was going through an intersection - I had the green. The mutt hit me just behind my drivers door, so I spun pretty good! I thought I broke my neck the pain was so bad, but fortunately as it turned out, I had whiplash and such.

Do you have a personal lawyer? Insurance likes to take the easy way out many times. I would keep my foot on what is going on and not just give in for a quick settlement, especially with a rear end hit. Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.