Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This was supposed to be one of those "wahay, I'm all better posts"!

nelnnel Posts: 402
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,

I had been planning to post on here in a week following my holiday to the lake district that was supposed to start today.

After all the pain last suumer and the eventual appearance of a post op infection and its treatment last autumn I had been doing so well.

Over the last few weeks I have felt great. I can walk as far as I like, have pushed my swimming distance up to a mile and a half, had no pain at all. It was like my life was normal again. Sure, there were a few limitations - doing things that needed me to be bent were impossible but I could cope with that!

My plan was to write one of those inspirational posts when I got back from my fell walking holiday regalling you with tales of mountains climbed etc. I felt so good of course that was how I was going to spend my holiday!

Then on Monday my back was a little stiff - nothing unusual for us post op people, it usually wears off over the course of the day and normal activities. Well by the end of Tuesday I was in agony again. I couldn't sleep, in fact could only bear to lie on my back with a pillow under my kness again. I nearly fainted a few times then I soiked a temperature. You guessed it - the stupid infection seems to be back, and just in time to put paid to my holiday plans :(

I have pain down the front of my thigh, in my hip, groin and my skin in those areas is extra sensitive too. My scar has become sensitive again. I have started a course of antibiotics that have brought my temperature down at least and maybe the pain is a little less, but then I might just be getting used to it!

On a positive note I did manage to go sledging over Christmas in all the snow, and until Monday the last few months had seen me living a normal life.

I am just feeling "hard done by" at the moment and a bit disbelieving.

So I suppose this is a mixed message! Physically I seem to have fused and this seems to have taken care of the pain and made me "normal" again. I just have this little detail of the infection that makes me hurt and feel ill to deal with (again) now!

I hope that you are all recovering well and find some relief from your pains.

• What a shame that the infection is back and that you couldn't go on your holiday, especially when you'd been doing so well.

Even though you're having to cope with this infection again, your post is still encouraging because you've been able to walk and swim longer distances.

Hope you'll be feeling well again soon and out of pain.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008