Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here and Need Advice

wendy1979wwendy1979 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
:/ Hello everyone my name is Wendy and I am from Raleigh,NC! I will try and make this as short as possible. I have dealt with chronic lower back pain for about 5 years and out of those 5 years I have taken pain meds the last 3 years. It started off with lortab 10's 4x a day then on to oxycodone 10/650 6x a day and that was working great and the pain was gone. I decided that maybe I should go to a PM Dr since this wasn't really my family Dr's expertise. Well I went to my first appt on 4/10 and we talked about getting lumbar facet injections and we also talked about water physical therapy. Then we talked about the meds very briefly and she said she was going to put me on Kadian 20mg twice a day, so I have been trying that but I don't feel anything, no relief from the pain, I am very sick to my stomach and have had a darn headache since I started it and I am still having to take tylenol and ibuprofen throughout the day. So I called them back and they said I could come in and pick up a prescription for Opana er but I have not been impressed with what I have been reading about it and I am afraid to speak to the Dr about wanting something different or at least a med for break though pain if I take the Opana, I don't want her to think I am abusing them since I want to ask for a certain pain med, should I not ask is that wrong to do, is it only up to the DR what I can take? One last question: I have heard about a fentanyl patch, maybe that would work and I was thinking of asking about that? What do u all think, I need pain relief and right now I am in a lot of pain and I shouldn't be taking all these meds :''( Advice please! Do u think I have built a tolerance since I was taking the oxycodone 6 times a day for about a year.

• You have built up some type of Tolerance to the Narcotics.

Oxycodone is very strong!

I take Vicodin 10mg 4-6 times a day and have Oxycodone 7.5mg for when the Vicodin is just not enough. Lately it has been more than ever before.
    3 Months ago 5 mg of Vicodin was enough to leave me in bearable pain. No 10mg leaves me in too much pain.

I would be straight forward with the Doctor. You could say something like.

Dr.xxx Ive heard both Good and Bad things about Opana. I'm very willing to give it a try , but I'm very scared about it not being enough to take care of all the pain or on the days where the pain breaks through. So what can we do for those Days?

More often than not the Doctor will ask you what have you taken in the past that has worked and go from there.

I will be going to my First PM appt soon. Soo far my Neuro has been handling the Pain Management. But thats about the response I get from every Doctor Ive seen.

Im thinking of Asking for the Fentanyl patch too. I got great relief from that in the hospital on the pump.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Ive been on the Opana now for 2 months. After playing around with the dosage my dr. finally has it right. For the first time in years after a total of 7 spine surgeries I am having pain free days. I take 20mg every 12hrs with oxycodone for breakthrough pain. Before the Opana I was taking oxycodone 7.5 3x a day. I am allowed 1 7.5 oxycodone a day for breakthrough pain but have found that if I do need it a half of a pill works. That way if I do need breakthrough meds for my second dose of the day I still have a half a pill to take. There are a few of us on S.H. that are talking Opana and it works very well for us. I have had no side effects and tolerate the medicine well. If you do decide to go with the Opana there is a coupon on the web site that will give you a discount on your copay for the next year.
  • I would just try the Opana, and then ask about a breakthrough medication if that does not work. Opana works WONDERFULLY for some people, so maybe you will be one of them.

It takes time to build a relationship with a PM, and I would give it time. I know that it's hard when you're in excruciating pain, because every second feels like an hour, but it will be worth it in the end.

It sounds like you have a great doctor who is willing to work with you. If it were me, I'd try the Opana for a month, and wait until my next appt. if I could to discuss changes.

If I couldn't wait because of the pain, I would call to schedule another appointment--face to face--instead of calling. I feel that works best.

• I have to agree with Flower, that I would be willing to take what the doctor prescribes and see what happens. I personally have never asked for any specific medications. I myself made the jump to Fentanyl two months back. I didn't suggest it my pm doctor suggested it. He had been asking me to switch to something else for sometime and finally the pain was to much. So he offered it up and I said lets give it a go. I still use percocet for break through meds. I think one of the reasons he offered it up as I can't use a anti-inflammatory and have maxed out the dosage on Soma. But one thing I can say with my physiatrist I am willing to try whatever he suggest. If it don't work we scratch it off the list. Right now I can't say the fentanyl is doing much work. The dosage is low, so we have room to work but I wanted to give it a few months before we made in changes, as he wanted me on a specific brand name and had issues locating it. I did locate it this go around, but still not what I expected in relief. Don't get me wrong I am not waking in tears any longer, but it doesn't bring the pain levels down to a manageable level, so I might talk about uping my percocet for break through or really I will see what he has in his bag of tricks. I have full confidence in his knowledge and experience and trust and value his opinion so whatever he suggest I am game for.
  • hi wende, >:D<
    i have been thru few different pm's over the years...
    and i would them a call l/msg for doctor and say i'm gonna stick with what you recommend(its does take good wks) for stuff to work...but just let them know should i come in for another appt or can doc recommend over phone something for break thru pain..cause your in alot...
    i would for sure offer to come in face to face is best when your new...
    i sure agree it takes time to get a feel for the pm doctor and they have to find right dosage for you that takes time for sure...
    i have not found any pm's to be of help to me
    hope they can help you
    but dont hesitate to call them and be up front and honest...

they know what meds you've been on i hope and so they will try find something different to help you out...but you can't be afraid to speak up...

you can ask ??about other meds..and see what they day..but i don't think asking for them is a good idea...
    would be red flag to any doc if we went in saying i want this or that meds...
    please dont wait and suffer give them a call and make a face to face appt...go in with list of concerns...
    keep us updated and welcome
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • First, Welcome to to spine health!
    Second, switching pain meds can be very dramatic within itself, now you have not only changed meds but also your medical provider which has gotta add stress and uneasiness in to the mix, what I mean Wendy is if your pcp gave you the new rx & it wasn't working I'm sure you would be comfortable to discuss the issue. Now Dr. NEW is a whole new deal, BUT he is also a pain mgmt doc so he is or should be very used to what can / will happen when switching one's meds (usually its a TRIAL, there is NO magic pill that works for all, wouldn't that be great!).
    I agree with the members above about requesting specific meds, however you need to build a strong & important relationship with this doc, so just be honest with him, he is the expert, tell him how & what you are feeling. Be proactive in the conversation ask questions.
    I really hope that you two can formulate a plan that provides you with maximum pain relief and the least side effects.
    Call tomorrow & make an appointment, they may request you bring your script in for a pill count, so don't be surprised. PM docs are all about CYA now & rightfully so!

This discussion has been closed.