Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Life changing surgery

dcampddcamp Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I usually don't post on any sites but feel obligated to share my experience to others as I honestly feel that by the grace of God and the doctors at Stenum, my life has been restored back to normal. I have been dealing with unrelenting pain for 13 yrs due to DDD in my Lumbar region. I am a 43 year old male, been very active my entire life and have tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I began having back problems in my early 30's which ultimately became serious after a cycling injury about 5 years ago. At that time, I ruptured my disc at L5-S1 and have basically gone through hell since that time. Every doctor told me to "hold off" due to my age and my journey continued with medications, PT, Chiro, Accupunc, etc.. In Feb. 2010, I finally had to have a laminectomy at L5-S1 to free up Sciatic pain and was very satisfied with the results, but still suffered from chronic lower back pain from the DDD. Last September I was speaking to a buddy of mine (who suffered from the same conditions as myself) in church and he told me that he was off to Germany for ADR surgery. After returning and seeing his results, I submitted my clinical info to see if I would be a candidate and was accepted for a two level disc replacement at L4-5 and L5-S1 using the Spinal Kinetics M6 at Stenum Hospital. Needless to say I said "game on!" and now I am 3 weeks post-op, home and sitting at my computer typing this post completely pain free! (minus the occasional incision pain)

Dr.s are truly performing miracles for individuals with little or no hope left. If you would have told me a year ago that I would fly half way across the world to have spinal surgery I would have laughed in your face! And now I am rejoicing that my friend shared his experience with me and I can share it with you!

• It is terrific you have found such relief. Thanks for sharing. It's good to hear about the successes.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi and welcome to our forum.

How good is that being virtually pain free at only 3 weeks out!! =D>

Would love to hear how you're going as the months go by.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Very happy for you!
    I can't see going overseas....but glad you found the courage (and finances) and support to do so and glad you are pleased with the results.

Can I ask...did they go in through the stomache or the back? How big is the incision? what did they say the recovery timeline will be? What about the 'life' expectency of the artificial disc?

I'm curious about ADR as it seems like a great alternative to Fusion in some situations.

thank you and good luck in your continued recovery!
  • It is going so good for you. Just make sure you take it easy for a while so those M6's dont migrate. Also who was your doctor at stenum?
  • I had a two level disc replacement with a frontal approach right below my "bellybutton" running about 11cm towards my pelvic region. Recovery time is about 3 months post-op. No lifting or extensive twisting during the three month period. I am 43 yrs old and with this particular disc, it should last the rest of my life. If you have the time and financial resources, I would say this is the only way to go. I had a bi-level fusion in my neck 2 yrs ago and wish I would have done this procedure in my neck!! But I can tell you I will go back to Germany when my levels above the fusion start to go bad and trust me they will in time.
  • The doctor at Stenum is Dr. Ritter-Lang. He is one of the top in the world dealing with ADR cases. He is a very gifted individual and the staff at Stenum is quite exceptional. The care that you receive is remarkable!
  • thank you for the answers! I really do appreciate the information. I hope never to need it but indeed will store it in my 'files' just in case.

Wishing you the best.
    Please come back and update us in a few months!
  • Glad its working out for you. 3 weeks out is still too soon to tell i think. I had 1 level adr here in usa and pain only came on months later after all the healing was done. Hope you will be feeling great down the road. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • :H Well done.Glad to hear you are so well.Wow ,that is quick.
    Please keep us posted,we need all the encouragement we can get.
    May you now be able to go back & live a fun filled life without pain.
    Thats what I'm hopeing for too!!It's just taken a lot longer.The next three months will sure be very interesting.Looks like I'm in for another op,to remove metalware,so any procedure that could eliminate that need would be a major improvement.
    All the best,keep the thread rolling.
    Mike ---NZ
  • due to my spine not being suitable from previous surgey and disease i now need a ALIF fusion .i would have preferred ADR but i will settle for the ALIF .i am happy that there is a success story and i wish you a healthy life ..look after it remember its a repair and like any mechanical device it can wear out
    {think car wishbone bush} even a German car needs replacing!! bit of man car humor there !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I worked with someone who had a 3-level ADR in Germany and ultimately had a 3 level fusion in less than 1.5 years.

Hope that you have continued success with your recovery.

• I can imagine that venturing to a foriegn country and undergoing spinal surgery was a difficult move for you. But it sounds like you did good. I hope you continue to have success with your ADR's. From what I read, these next generation discs are much better then the earlier ones. I do hope it lasts you a life time!
    Keep us updated with your progress and follow your restrictions... you dont want to fly back to Germany too soon!

• I hope things go as well with what I just had done!

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    that we here in the good ole US of A's believe that we have the best healthcare in the world.

It is obvious that there are countries that are either more further advanced, or don't fear the 15X the number of attnys that we have here just waiting for a nice juicy medical malpractice suit.

Congradulations on what appears to be an excellent outcome. Please keep us posted on your recovery!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!