Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 microdiscectomy

justin hjjustin h Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
hi,
im very new to this site, just found it by chance and hopefully i can get a few answers and be less stressed with my recovery!
its only been a week since i had a L5S1 microdiscectomy and im quite stressed. before the surgery i had major right leg pain right down to my foot and ankle and was in intense pain! in my consult with my NS he told me that he was 100% confident of relieving me of the leg pain straight after surgery.
since the surgery i have had no relief of the leg pain and its basically the same intensity and just as frequent. i did speak to my NS whilst i was in hospital and told him of the pain and then he assured me it would eventually dissapear. im just wondering when?? 1 week, 2 weeks a year?
just a little worried as my NS assured me the pain would be gone straight after surgery!
has anyone had any similar situations they can share, anything to put my mind at ease!

cheers, justin
advertisement

Comments

• Hey, im a 39 year old guy who is four weeks tomorrow post operation from a L4L5 microdiscectomy and im going through the same thing.I've been injured and off work for a year and thanks to my ex-employer who knew that I hurt myself at work fought workers comp and has had me unable to have surgery until he won the case.Finally I got to use my personal insurance and had the operation but with no relief.The dr. told me to give it six more weeks and see how I feel and if I still had pain we would go from there.I was also told that I would feel better right after my surgery but I feel exactly the same and sometimes worse.I dont know what to tell you to do but just wanted to let you know there are people out here going through the same thing.Hope you can get some relief.
  • unfortunately though, the first one didn't work. It meant that after 4 weeks I went in for the same operation (microdiscectomy) again.

What the surgeon said after the second operation was that when he was removing the piece of damaged disc that was touching the sciatic nerve, as he was pulling it away, he noticed another piece 'slide into the same space' - so he had to go back in and repeat it all over again. He said afterwards that it would have taken far less time if he'd performed a 'fusion' instead! He did explain that amongst other things I also had 'dessication' of the disc and that these things can happen.

Also, perhaps you are still in recovery and have to wait for the nerves to settle down. If, by the time you see your surgeon again, your pain symptoms are the same, then I would definitely assume that another MRI would be required to find out exactly what is going on so it can be rectified.

Obviously there's no guarantee with any spine surgery that it will work and, like me, if it does fail the first time, at least you know that it is possible to have the same procedure repeated. Hopefully this won't be necessary for you!

By the way, the second discectomy I had was successful, but the pain symptoms did eventually come back :( - resulting in further spine surgery in July of last year.

I really hope your neurosurgeon can help you soon to reduce the amount of pain you're currently experiencing.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!