Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain, Neck pain

Mayfair_GirlMMayfair_Girl Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All :-)

I've been diagnosed with a few problems recently and I'm wondering if I could get an advice on the forum.
After getting my third MRI scan results my neurosurgeon (NHS) told me not to worry and come back again in 9 months!
I'm thinking of getting a second opinion, private this time.
Shall I be worried?

MRI results - brain (comparison to the previous scan):

The right-sided intrasellar pituitary lesion has slightly increased in size. The pituitary stalk appears minimally displaced towards the left.There is no suprasellar extension. The remaining intracranial appearances are normal.
(I would like to add that I have not have any of the pituitary tumour symptoms, blood tests normal)

MRI results - whole spine :

Mild inversion of the cervical lordosis with minimal disc degenerative changes seen throughout the cervical spine.
At C5/C6 there is a small right paracentral disc protrusion resulting in some flattening of the right sided theca. There is no evidence of cord or cervical nerva root compression.
The small extradural cyst-like lesion in close relation with left T7/T8 facet joint remains stablein size and appearances. Minimal local scalloping of the left lamina is present but there is no cord compression.
At L4/L5 there is a small non-compressive posterior disc protrusion /annular fissure. Small sacral perineural cysts are present. The cord and conus have normal signal and appearances.

Do you think I should get the second opinion?
My back and neck pain is getting worse...

Thanks in advance :)

• Yes a second opinion would be helpful mri doesnt sound to bad I would be more worried about pituitary lesion but dont know how that affects spinal cord. have you had in pt or chiro yet that might be work too. but the best thing to do is get as much info as you can by yourself and a second opinion that way you can be informed about what is going on hope that helps I am 2 weeks post op c3 c4 acdf and still having problems.

• Hi, Thanks for the comment:-)
    I've had around 25 spinal adjustments already..
    Without chiro I wouldn't be able to function normally.
    It's helped massively!

I am worried about that lesion though as it has grown since Nov 2010. Neuro told me not worry and wants to see me again in 9 months just because it doesn't give me any symptoms . I think it's a joke... They don't even know what that is!

I have a private app on the 21st of April so I hope the new doctor will explain a bit more..
    Fingers crossed!

P.S. Sorry you are in pain! I hope you feel better soon :)
  • It doesn't hurt to have another opinion to look over all your MRIs and tests. The MRI doesn't sound too bad. Have you tried epidural injections? They used to work in my neck - helped for a number of years.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Karen,

I'm getting a second opinion this Thursday.
    We'll see..
    I asked a few times for epidural but they've just ignored me..

• hi - based on the MRI scan you have a 'lesion' in your pituitary gland - but without further details in your report, I can't make any further conclusions. Pituitary masses are most commonly adenomas (micro or macro) or cysts - but cysts don't typically grow. If you want to give further info I can help clarify...

• Mayfair_Girl, I am glad that you are getting a second opinion. please take any medical advice that you may get online with a grain of salt, as it is generally unethical in nature for even a Dr or nurse to offer medical advise to a person who they can not 'see' or examine in person, and only based on the little bit of information passed on in an online forum. There is just too much at risk,ie; medical history, etc..

I also get concerned when I hear of people going to chiropractors (if getting manipulation) when they have spinal issues. I would talk to your Dr about that because you never know, it has been known to cause more harm than good in some patients.

Good luck with your second opinion, and I do hope that you find some answers soon.