Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time that it normally takes for SSD?

angel4laricciaangel4laricci Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
If any of you have read my post you know I have been dealing with DDD for 10 years. I have endured every treatment known to man. My doctors all agree 100% I am disabled without a doubt. I filed in December 2010, and I do know the doctors at SSD have all my medical records. I have my senator's asst. helping me look into where I am in the process. She just reported Friday they have everything. My question is as I am sure so many of you have gone through this process.. After someone has gone this far into the process with Social Security Disability about how long am I looking at. Lord knows I need some sort of income. I haven’t actually worked since Jan 2010, as I was a business owner, and could no longer even go into the office. I tried hiring an office manager who drove me into bankruptcy and I lost everything. No one will ever take your business as serious as you do. This knucklehead was actually leaving at 2pm while I spent $3800 a month in marketing to a clientele that is only home in the evening and this is who we catered too. He was out with his wife drinking and partying.....so that plan didn’t work. I have been dealing with all this back& neck EDITED since 2001 and finally gave in. It took me 9 years to face facts, that I could no longer pursue my dreams of fortune. Not an easy dream to give up...
As I have actually been in SSD system since Dec, and yes I hired a hoggy attorney because I am in too much pain to deal with all the request SSD puts upon us. My question is does anyone or has anyone had a similar situation with any ideas of how long I am looking at. (I cannot imagine not being approved). I have 10 years of medical records showing I have been in this chronic pain which just has gotten worse and worse with time. Any idea? I appreciate it greatly!

Standards agreement and posting rules
Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave

• Hey there, don't be discouraged with the SSA because getting denied is all part of the process. The SSA wants people to feel helpless and give up when they are denied, so you have to fight the good fight. You may want to hire a specialized Social Seucrity Disability Insurance attorney in your area as well. I know www.socialsecurity-disability.org is a good place to find one. The attorney will help you with all your paperwork and definitely help you when it is time to see the administrative law judge.
  • Hi Angel, I too am self employed and struggling to keep afloat. Fortunately I have a partner that is somewhat able to handle the business. I threw in the towel in Sept 2010 after my surgery. I applied on my own at first, which was demanded in Pa. anyhow. I went through all the procedures, including the visit to their doc, who agreed that I deffinately had issues. Well in April this year, I recieved my "DENIED" letter. After being denied, you have 60 days to file an appeal. I immediatly made an appt with a attorney specializing in SSD...they dont get paid if you dont win. After meeting with him, I was somewhat relieved that he took my case. Obviously they wont take a case if they dont think they have a sure shot at winning. He will take a percentage, but not more than a fixed amount of your first check. He says it will take about one year from the time he files an appeal to get a hearing, and then possibly another 6 months for a verdict ! If I win, they will back pay me til the day I filed my first claim or possibly longer since I was not able to work prior my surgery.... Seems hardly fair, but you gotta play the game....good luck to you, Bill
  • I can only say for myself, as you know everyone will have a different experience with the SSD system. For me it took right at 1 1/2 yrs from the time of first applying to the final decision from a judge. I did the first application myself, and when I got the first denial letter, that's when I hired a lawyer that specialized in SSD cases. He did the reconsideration appeal filing. Then of course I got my second denial letter, and that's when he filed for a hearing. I live in the state of TN, and I did research for my state to find the average time it took for each step. Everyone that I talked to in my area said it would probably take me at least two years and to be prepared for that. So I feel extremely lucky that it only took 1 1/2 yrs. Somewhere on this site someone has posted the website that you can go to to find info on each state, bear in mind that it's all approximate, cuz it depends on how backed up the SSD system is in your area.
    I worked in a factory and my husband was already retired from factory work, when all this happened. If it hadn't been for the good graces of our families and loaning us money we would have lost a lot! I wish you the best of luck in this journey,and just hang in there, cuz like mentioned above, they want you to give up.
  • It took me 3years till mine was approved,had to go before a judge i even had a ssd lawyer, Rick
This discussion has been closed.