Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Approval after 16+ months of doubt and fear and waiting

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I got a call from my para-legal just now, today - as many of your know I was scheduled to go to my SSD hearing on April 26th .... Well according to my paralegel I have just Received-Been a 100% approval dating back to January 10th 2010 .... after 16 months of twisting in the wind ... hopefully my SSD saga is comming to an end.(or a new more fruitful beginning)

Of course I won't really believe it till I see some retropay and my first monthly allowance but it this point .... NO HEARING NEXT WEEK and by the grace of G_d, and the over and above the call of duty support by all of you ... I have lived to see this day.

Someone pinch me ... Im in shock and awe. Kinda like awaking from a very bad multi-year dream.

Again so many thanks to those who have helped guide and support me. I don't think I could have made it without you all!!!!

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Dave,

Congrats to you, I know it has been a very long haul for you, and thinks were spiraling out of control. Hopefully, now that you have some income you can get proper pain relief and be able to afford the medications and treatments you need.
  • So happy for you! Its good to see that sometimes our crazy system actually works! Good for Dave you deserve this!
    Oh & the thrill of NOT going to hearing, yes & yes!
    Like Charlie Sheen would say....WINNING!
    don't forget about your Medicare I think its 18 or 24 months from disability date.
    Thanks for sharing your good news with us!

• Good job, bring out the dancing girls". Congrads. Git-ir-done Ok now lets get beter and i will meet ya on the golf course, 7:30 am tea off
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I know what a relief that has to be to know that you have won. Congrats!!!!!
  • Big congrats!! and also a big Woo Hoo!! I've got my hearing coming up in two weeks, boy do I sure wish mine would go like yours and not have to go to court. LOL So happy for you!
  • Dave,

What did I tell you on the phone? A hearing is a plus, but beyond that, hehehehehhe you get a call saying "done and won"...:)

I am so happy for you my friend. I know you were stressing big time, and this *has* to be a big relief for you. So happy for you Dave!!! I told ya, "good things come to good people"..(G) Congrats!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Great news Dave. Soo happy for you. One less thing to worry about. Now you can concentrate on your health and not have this in the background.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm very happy for you! It seems like such a long wait but finally! Celebratte now that you have a little income coming in well hopefully you get your funds soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Congrats; and enjoy. you deserve some good news.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I am still in a state of shock and disbelief. Being the optimitic skeptic that I am (is that possible?) I won't believe it till I get a confirmation (award) letter and my first payment(s).

I guess after 5+ years of everything going wrong ... it is hard to grasp that this has turned out in my favor.

Well a little more of the hurray up .... and wait.
    We all know that drill well by now!

Again thanks for the positive vibes, thoughts, and affirmations that have helped carry through to this point. Remaining curious about the future ....

Warmest regards and healing thoughts to all,

Spine-health Moderator

• So very happy for you! It Is always nice to hear good news.

Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
    When I made the decision to no longer work - because It was really no longer a decision to make. I had filed for SSD a couple months after my surgery ... but still had a house and family and toys that needed my substaintial income. When my house payments began to get late due to being out from extensive surgery and the loss of my house was a rapid reality ... in great amounts of pain and on great amounts of meds, I did what I could do and went a job shopping. (not really hoping to get an offer).

Well silly me i got an offer and being the A type person I used to be I accepted it. (believing that if it was G_ds will for me that I have this job and not be on SSD ... I would give it a solid attempt).

Needless to say after almost a year of daily struggles to maintain ... I got to the point that I was physically, financially, spiritually, and emotionally beat. I could not continue and prayed each night for an end to my pain, job, and life itself. My employers - the somewhat evil profit motivated - lying to customers bunch that they were (are) helped me with all of this by kindly doing one of those "things just aren't working out" No Sh-t brain surgeons. They did me a great favor.

I reupped my SSD claim and this time I was "all in"
    I didn't care if it meant that I wound up sleeping in a refidgerator box ... My physical and mental conditions had brought me to the point that I could no longer work at even a minimal position. I am very grateful that the system agreed with my various healthcare providers both medical and mental and that I have been approved for benefits.

In summary, your question was do I take the LTD guarentee or take a chance to better your life. I guess I don't understand the question. My first question would be can you or can't you work, due to your condition(s)?, and are these conditions expected to last for greater than a year and/or till death?

I believe that many people on LTD have converted to SSD and that this should be a rather straight forward process. As to the issue of bettering your life ... are you referring to a financial betterment or a quality of life? ... either way the prospect of being on LTD or SSD I don't view as anything near a betterment, but more an unfortunate byproduct of a worklife cut short due to physical and mental limitations imposed upon me - results of "modern" medicine"

You may also want to consider copying and paisting your question(s) into a new thread as others should have better answers and insight into the LTD issue ... it was not an option for me.

Hope your choices become more clear,

A pickle can never return to being a regular cucumber again.
    Spine-health Moderator

• so happy for ya dave.....
    when you buying me dinner
    really congrats
    and i really don't like roses so just send a nice mix of flowers....
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Wow,that is very cool to hear .The system can be very cruel sometimes when they turn down legit cases,I know.It happened to me too.Accident compensation income just stopped with two weeks notice.Took six months with a lawyer to get it back.Thank God I did,or I wouldnt have made it at all.
    Good on ya mate-have a drink on it for me.
    Mike ---NZ
  • High gang,I think Dave needs to take us all out for a beer!!! So happy for you man! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    It sounds much like the dillema I was facing .... continue to attempt to push through the work-pain ... or face so many unknowns by stopping work completely. With the LTD having a limit, my suggestion would then be to get a good SSD lawyer (one who only does SSD) and talk through your situation with him(her). Begin to focus your entire day towards finding the best medical solutions to your problems and working with your SSD lawyer towards the best SSD outcome possible.

I was the proverbial "burr under their saddle in regards to providing documents and keeping them informed of every med change, new provider visit, hospital visits etc. I think when I can I will at least buy my paralegle a BIG bunch of flowers for having to put up with me over the past several years.

Being the A type personallites that we are ... that was one of the most difficult parts of the change ... learning to be a B ... learning to take a step back from the work that used to define who and what I was and to realize that a job or career doesn't make me who and what I am. Nor do I want the stigma of my disabilites to define who and what I am ... I view it as, "early retirement" having packed 45 years of work into 32 ... and my body and its conditions being both my master, and my liberator

Much understanding of your situation, and will hope that the decisions that you make, will serve you well.

Best regards.

Spine-health Moderator

• Congratulations. I hope this helps to relieve some of the pressure off of you.

:) Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • i responded to your post , just after you posted, but its dissappeared (cue : twilight zone music)

so i say again to you , congrats , im very happy for you, and consider yourself "pinched"

yes its real

this will help relieve some of your stress and worry

all the best to you

ohh if its your round, i"ll have a glass of champagne , thanks+
  • Seems like I found a similar personality! I, too, decided I was strong and nothing was "wrong" with me about 5 months after surgery and took a job offer. Also my hubby lost both of his jobs and I figured it was a good paying job and that I needed to take care of everyone. I have been on the new job for about 2, almost 3, months and it is getting harder and harder to keep up. I went off the vicadin so I'm having some withdrawal (serious insomnia) and generally look like sh$$. People are constantly asking me how I'm feeling because "they can tell my back hurts"- and I think I acting fine. I'm grouchy, tired, and hurting and very unhappy with life.

I was turned down for disability in March. The reason had something to do with me, "being able to work even if I made less money, I could still do a job". (eye rolling) There is a guy at the movie theater that takes ticket stubs. He is a paralyzed and lays in a wheelchair, but he works so wouldn't be considered "disabled" by that line of reasoning.

Anyway, I'm kind of feeling like a wuss for even thinking about disability, but I have had back pain for over 20 years and I'm only 36. I have worked for 18 straight years and I'm worn out. This last surgery took the wind out of my sails.
  • Great news, great news!!!!!