Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to diagnosis but not to pain

suziedunsonssuziedunson Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Lower Back Pain
I finally got a word put with my pain..lumbar arthritis! Have no clue what to do! They want to do a spinal injection however i'm 47 and feel to young to move to fast..I have alot of trouble with buttock and leg pain as well...have a very hard time sleeping...i've been out of work for a year now..also had a total abdominal hysterectomy a year ago and am in surgically induced menapause! Hot flashes with pain are miserable...I can't walk long distances and am bound to the house..I was extremely active before the surgery..no way I can do my job...extreme stress to mind, body, and soul..going through so many changes I can't keep up...pain meds take the edge off, however my energy level is very down...any advise to a newly diagnosed mother, wife, and granmother would be sooo welcomed..thank you, suzie dunson

• Hello Suzie, Sounds like you are dealing with so much right now. I sent you a private message that I hope helps you out. Take care. Beth
  • Are usually the first line of defense as I understand it They can help a lot with the Inflammation that the Arthritis causes.

I'm up for my first one soon. Ive been referred to a reputable Pain Management Clinic and that is what the Neuro has asked them to try.

I can not say 100% they work well, but if you are wanting less Intense, Maybe you can ask for a round of Oral Steroids first? Or even Iv or Injection in a regular vein. Then when you see it works you can progress to one that will last longer.
  • I'm sorry you're having so much pain and stress right now and I can relate as I was at 47 when I had my first spinal injections also. I know when I feel frustrated and hot flashes etc. I try to walk if I can or do some kind of exercise or bubble bath or hot shower to relieve some of the stress.

I hope your injections relieve some of your pain. It's a whole new world when you have back and leg pain and you've come to the right place when you need support. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sooo glad i found this site....feels almost normal to know someone get's it! Arthritis is a common word, but, people really don't get the way it changes your life...thanks for your support...i'm very grateful to of found this site and people like you! :)
  • sooo glad i found this site....feels almost normal to know someone get's it! Arthritis is a common word, but, people really don't get the way it changes your life...thanks for your support...i'm very grateful to of found this site and people like you! :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us too. So many find this to be a place of respite because we DO get it, whether it's arthritis, DDD, stenosis, spasms, whatever.

I think the injections are a good idea. I know the spine is different than a hip, but I know of a woman whose had pretty severe arthritis pain in her hip and recently had an injection - it helped, didn't take away all the pain, but she no longer screams in pain.

They're definitely worth a try. They may also try a steroid pack (that helped me tremendously with a bulging disc), so going the conservative route is really a good way to begin the process.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Hi Suzie, I just finished up a round of Epidural Injections on my thoracic area that has really helped immensely. I am going to talk to my Pain Mgmt people about possibly getting some done for my lower area now to help with the sciatica, hip , and leg pain that has progressively gotten worse this last year. I see that you have problems sleeping. Sleeping is important to make it through the next day of pain. I can only sleep on my one good side with a pillow between my knees in a fetal position. I also have to take sleeping meds or the pain will keep me awake. I love sleep time because it is the only time I am pain free. I do sweat at night no matter what time of year it is or what I wear to bed. You might want to check with your Dr about help with sleeping. Being sleep deprived is miserable and you sound like you have enough misery on your plate right now to deal with. Take care. Beth
  • Hi Suzie. We do understand and most of us have had or will soon have injections of some kind to help relieve our pain. They don't always work, but when they do it is worth it.

Every day that I log on here I read posts from new members who always say the same thing that you said, "sooo glad i found this site....feels almost normal to know someone get's it!", and that tells you at least one thing.. we are not alone!! Oh, and another thing too, all the new members are thinking the same thing and are always glad to know that someone out there "gets it." We do get it Suzie, and I am even having the hot flashes (lol), not fun at all by the way!! I'm 50 (ugh) and I believe I was 47 when I had my first ESI (epidural steroid injection), and though I have had many operations, none were on my spine---yet, and I plan to keep it that way.
    Welcome to spine-health!

• Thanks everyone for your time out to share your experience with me...I'm in my recliner as usual..it's the only way I can sleep in my two hour time span's..I get tired of sleeping day and night just to feel rested..I found out today I used up all my FMLA and my ins. portion will be out of pocket from here on..I am applying for long term disability...I got it through my job..so glad I chose it..all the co pay's, meds, and medical bills are leaving me broke...I got an attorney for SSI but there's no telling how long that will take..I've worked sense I was 14 with a work permit..never ever been down before...I feel like I'm a burden to my husband..I can't even sleep with him or go places like we used to...depression set in! yuck..what do you do when you can't work? Who do you turn to for help? Thanks for your help..big hugs, Suzie
  • Get help wherever and whenever you can, and don't be afraid to ask your Dr/s for help in your depression. Check into any programs in your area that may be available to you. Take the phone book to the recliner and start making calls-be proactive. Smile, tell your hubby a joke. I often feel guilty because I can't do/be what I once was, and I sometimes make light of it, but my guy knows that it hurts me and it is just my way of dealing with the situation. What can I do. If I could change it I would, but if I can't I'm not going to beat my head against the wall even if I sometimes feel like it.
    Do what you can, and in the meantime try to smile. You are in good company.
This discussion has been closed.