Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't win for losing?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Recently I've been having much worse lower back/butt/thigh pain. It grabs when I move/bend a certain way which is new for me. Normally movement makes no difference really. Yesterday it was 'extra' bad so I was moving carefully. I had to go with my hubby on an errand about two hours from home and riding in the car is not fun for me. I had to sit kind of side ways to try to ease my back pain and by the time we got home I had terrible upper left chest, back, and arm pain. I honestly wondered if it was heart related. Whenever I move it hurts straight through above my left breast into my back and down my left arm. I can't bend my head down or up without the pain going down my arm. I guess one good thing about it is that my back pain isn't first on my mind today....ah well....

• Hi my friend.

Sorry to hear about the major pain you're in. I still wonder if you've been doing too much after your ACDF. I know you...you're probably tearing down walls, drywalling and tiling.

Sometimes I find with both my cervical and lumbar that while I'm moving, I'm doing really good - it's when I sit and stop moving that the pain really sets in. Nights are the worst for me, especially after I've taken a walk and did whatever chores I have to do then I sit to relax and *BAM* major pain in both areas.

I obviously can't tell you why you're having such bad pain, but it wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon and have a little chat. Keep in mind what you've been doing, too - it might be time for a little break.

Take care my friend,
  • ...about the weather. I don't know what it's like where you are, but here, the weather is contantly changing, chilly and threatening rain storms, and my spine isn't liking it at all.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.

Yes, of course you're right about overdoing it. I know that's what is causing my lbp to be worse. Whatever this is that has a grip on my chest/back is pretty fierce though.

We're having stormy weather this morning also so I won't feel as bad for laying around today. lol.

I'm the same as you in that my pain really kicks in when I quit doing whatever I'm doing for the day. I think we just ignore it a lot when we're doing what we have to do don't you?

I won't be pushing myself any farther today though...it'll all have to wait. My husband has already called me from work to make sure I'm still at home doing nothing! I'm normally quite stubborn but my spine is showing me who's the boss. lol.

Hope you're not in a lot of extra pain from the weather or anything else my friend. I miss chatting with you. I'm guilty of neglecting SH when I'm busy and then come crawling back when I'm down and out...

I hope you have a good day Cathie. Thanks for your help and support.

• sorry that you are hurting even more than normal ..like you need more pain !! rest up hun
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • A good friend and i talked last night about letting go of the doubt that pain brings. we both have chronic pain. her's has been there going on 7 years mine just over 1 year. we were talking about being yourself and seeing yourself doing something and instead of thinking of all the pain that is going to come from doing that, like the saying "just do it" I know when i want to do something, like go for a hike or play with my dog it is always in the back of my mind "if i do what i want to do i'm gonna be in pain" but i am starting to believe that if i want to do something i'm going to do it. I can't let the worry in my mind about the pain stop me from living the life i want to live. So overdoing it is a little different you can still do what you want but in moderation. Hope you start to feel better soon.

• I had a partial knee replacement a couple of months ago and on the way home from the hospital I sat in the back seat of a Land Cruiser with the operated leg up on the bench and the other on the floor so i could buckle up. I kept tensing to keep my leg from jolting and hurting and in the process I ended up agrevaiting both my upper and lower back. I had similar pain to that you describe, took several weeks to get over. Now I'm back to my normal pain.

Maggie, I've been doing just what you say, I am trying to take my life back from pain. I spent all day Sunday planting a perinnal bed with over a 100 plants for this wonderful lady. She's 76 and can no longer garden, she used to plant annual every year but got depressed when she thought she wasn't going to have flowers this year. I did all the work while she was out of town. It brought some sunshine into her life and mine.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • That is so sweet Dave. I hope when I’m 76, someone comes and helps me plant my flowers too. That is a huge fear of mine. I have had a work in progress garden for over 20 years, pathways, ponds, archways, gorgeous flowers but I just cannot tend to it like I used to and some days I could and have just cried. I am contemplating having it bulldozed and lawned and just have a small flower garden to enjoy out by my back deck and pool.
    I doubt you have any idea of how happy you probably made this lady by helping her! I think it’s awesome that someone who is already hurting would give of themselves as such and take care of her. The Lord works in mysterious ways and I do believe he was working through you on this day. Hats off too you for a job well done and a kindness of grand proportions. Take care - Marion
  • I agree with these guys, hate to hear your hurting so badly but can I make a suggestion.. Just because you think it is coming from your back, spine, etc., does not necessarily make it so. I had an aunt who at a very young age had a very similar issue. Yours made my heart start beating faster in fact because it sounds so familiar. My aunt assumed it was her back/spine, but it was actually her heart. Call me crazy – but considering where and the type of pain you are experiencing, I think you should go get it checked just to be safe. Better safe than sorry I say. I lost my beautiful Aunt Marlene much too soon because she didn’t get it checked and it was her heart. Think about it, at least give it some consideration ya? Take care - Marion
  • I forget that the pain for a woman experiencing a heart attack is different than a man. Agree she should get it checked out to be sure.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Hope you are better since starting this post. Sorry to see you have been suffering from several issues - hang in there! I went back to work a little over a month ago so don't get much time to check in .. hope you get some relief soon!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry I disappeared there for a while everyone. The pain must have been muscular because it got better after a few days but still acts up occasionally. It's really not surprising considering the work I've been doing. It's been 7 months tomorrow since my surgery. There's no way I could have done the work (remodelling/plumbing--geez I hate plumbing! ~X( ) I've been doing the past few weeks before I had it done. It's amazing really how little my neck bothers me. Now if I could say the same for my back, ah well...can't have it all.

I know I do more than I should and do things I shouldn't do at all but after living with so much neck pain for so many years it's wonderful to be able to get up in the mornings and move my head! I guess that's why it worried me when I had this little 'episode'. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know. Thank you all for your replies and hope you're as good as you can be. Please send me advice for butt/thigh/leg pain relief if you have any! ~X(

This discussion has been closed.