Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Note to self. Mopping Kitchen Floor= A Lot of freaking PAIN!

KymBerlyKymBerly Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Management
OMG, My kitchen floor looked Horrible, so You know I just had to mop it to get it looking nice and shiny again. And you can't Mop if you haven't Swept, and my my having a clean floor sure made those Shelves look messy, I better straighten those up. There those look better now.

Hmmm WHile I'm in here Ill make Dinner, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Pork Chops and a Home Made Garlic Cheesy Bread sound Wonderful. I can use that french bread I bought. Oh and I forgot the Melon I was going to Juice. I better do that too before it goes bad.

Dinner was Yummy by the way, after dinner though the aches and pain, OMFG they hurt. They started in slowly but surely until I woke up at 2am with the Hubby giving me a back massage cause I was groaning in my sleep every time I moved.

To add to it, I had bought a Tres Leches Cake for after dinner and couldn't resist. I'm lactose Intolerant. Tummy Rumbles it likes the taste but not the aftermath.

Why do I insist on Punishing myself?

My kitchen is clean thoughand looks great, but oh man so not worth the pain.

• dinner sounds great! I know what you mean after doing almost the identical yesterday, with a side of yard work. Sorry kym, hope you feel better.

• Yeah we are a glutton for Punishment. But I just cant resist sometimes. Sometimes you just need to do it yourself and be able to, I dont know, prove something to ourselves maybe.

I did the Yard Work last weekend. We were putting in New Mulch. I figured out if I aligned the Wheel Barrow just right I could scrape the mulch into it from the bed of the truck. I filled 8 Wheel Barrows with Mulch. But I never liften anything besides a Rake soooo I got away with it.

Im quickly learning there are ways to do darn near everything with out lifting!
  • KymBerly,

Sweeping, mopping, stooping, etc...we pay big time for those activities! A day and a half ago, I swept, vacuumed, cleaned the litter boxes, did laundry, and what did that earn me? 24+ hours in bed! No, we don't learn! (G)

Oh, and I thought I outsmarted pain by taking a lot of sitting breaks - NOT!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Any activity that involves sustained bending or twisting, even just for a couple of minutes, always leaves me in bad pain. I'm always surprised by how quickly the pain can escalate while doing simple things like washing, hoovering, carrying bags, and so on. I find that washing my hair is often really painful if it takes more than a couple of minutes, so now I always keep it short. I've also given up using a traditional razor for shaving - I use an electric one now so I can sit down and shave in relative comfort, without having to bend forward at all.

So many things that people without spine problems take for granted can be major pain generators for people like us. I've found I have to be very careful using my computer too. Overdoing it can really wreak havoc on a bad spine!
  • Huggy,

There are times just the slight bend when washing dishes escalates the pain scale but fast! I almost fell in the shower the other day, and what did my hubby do? God I love this man - he came home tonight with a shower chair for me! Is that cool or what?

I try to stretch out sweeping, laundry etc. I just didn't do a good job of it the other day. I am amazed that today you can do all this, tomorrow not even a quarter of it! Sigh...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • so you would think I would stop too! My new theory is one good day equal's 3 or 4 bad day's...so, I pick my battles...wish I could say I am good at it..NOT...my hubby is good at helping, but, he don't do it as good as I do...lol...but, I never liked doing laundry anyway, so, i'm outta that now...lol...just keep trying...that's the best you can do! I hate a mess too! hugs and blessings, Suzie
  • We are all Gluttons for Punishment!!! Hahaha!
  • Dirt is my friend. Those hairballs in the corner - Oh, aren't they cute? The dishes stacked in the sink are beautiful and the laundry, well, Wally loves to lay in the stacks, so I can't put them in the wash - where will he lay?

I'll sweep, but hubby does the mopping and vacuuming - when he's darned good and ready. So meanwhile, dirt is my friend. So is an extended swiffer duster. I simply can't do this stuff any more. I've had to learn to live with it until hubby's ready to help. I can sometimes spur him on by doing something I shouldn't and he'll come running to my aid, but I try not to play that card too often.

LOL - whatcha gonna do?

• Kymberly, I so remember while recovering from my fusion last year, and the dirt collected. I live with my husband and oldest son, and they just don't seem to notice it. I would get so frustrated that it would drive me to do things I shouldn't have tackled.
    Kymberly, you shouldn't have been sweeping and mopping floors so early on in your recovery!

I am a year down the line now, and can do most things but vacuuming (heavy vacuum cleaner) and mopping still cause pain if I do it for very long at all. My physio told me I must never do more than one room a day.

I have been doing loads of laundry lately as we have just got back from holiday. Our kitchen floor was awful and we have guests coming tomorrow.
    My lovely husband swept and mopped it for me. :X Then he vacuumed the downstairs of the house. He doesn't usually do this so it meant a lot to me. I am having a pain flare at the moment, so he wanted to be helpful.

I am just going to have to learn to love the dirt.
    I'll take your advice Cathie, and think of those dust balls as little cute pets. :D
  • Explaining to my Husband that I can not be responsible for cleaning and looking after the kids both, but he always just ignores the cleaning.

He helped after the surgery, but stopping about 2 weeks ago. I know he is tired after work, but he doesn't seem to understand, that Ive put in a full day or Work too with our children and their various appointments.

Ive already took over the Kitchen and Bedroom, putting away the laundry, and Cooking again. The Kids Maintain the living room and Hubby does a deeper cleaning on the weekend. Our Dinning room looks like a Tornado hit it, because neither of us will Budge on who is doing it.

Its either me or no one, and with People coming to my house all day for my kids , I have to have a Decently picked up house.
  • I feel your pain..... I just scrubbed the bathrooms and did my sweeping and mopping over the weekend..... I used to do the cleaning every few days... now its every few weeks. The dishes and
    laundry are the only things done daily.... hubby does the vacuuming. After my first back surgery I learned to pick up i nstead of "cleaning " it works OK. Any real cleaning is a planned family activity.
    Hugs - Julie
  • Jelly and Julie, I wish I would've written your posts. Spineys have to pick and choose their battles and only you know what's worth fighting for.

Me? I'll dust and do things occasionally that I shouldn't, but if "stuff" (dirt or clutter) hangs around long enough, my guy does notice it. Then he complains and still, it sits and he eventually can't stand it another minue or we'll talk about what day we'll do it together.

I hope, even if you have to use your womanly ways, that you get them both to chip in. Just try not to take it too seriously. To me, it's one of the smaller battles that I choose to not "fight" over, just work with what I've got.

• He swept and mopped every hard surface in the house, vaccumed and dusted! He put away a bunch of stuff in the basement, that had been waiting for storage, and even did a little work in the Kitchen.

It took him 4 Hours to do all the Work that takes me 12 hours because I move so slow. About darn time!

• Result!!

Now enjoy the house looking clean.
    It won't last long!

• So frigging bad lol.

Im testing new heights today. I tried scrubbing dinning room walls and the marker wont come off, so I broke out the painting supplies. I worked for a hour and got a third of the room done so far. Gotta wait for hubby to move furniture for the rest haha. Guess I will start on door ways.

I cant stand being idle.
  • Wow, you are so right! Just had similar experience. Found out sink was leaking, which inspired me to clean the nooks and crannies of kitchen. Found water around hot water heater, so HAD to clean that up, then the grease stains were so obvious, there was no choice about that, either. Which led to scooting the stove over to clean the rest of the grease, and scooting the fridge just a little to make the kitchen look nicer and more spacious. Then, incredibly light sweeping cause it was looking so awesome. Now, it's 5:15 AM and i'm still up in horrible pain. Kitchen looks great. Wish i'd never found that leak under the sink. (Truth be told, i shouldn't have washed those dishes either, but can't stand looking at stuff i used to be able to do, and feel i should be able to do.) Sigh..
  • One week post op after finding out i needed disks put in,,, new ones for me ,,old ones fromnthe dead person who left them behind!
    I thank fully hae a daughtr in law that needs $ that is coming up once a week to do those thiongs i cant like mopping, acuming ,,cleaning out the fridge,

My husbund will accccume and shappo the rugs for me.

THIS WEEK MY BEDROOM IS A JUNK MESS, my daughter ion law is coming to help with that.,

I can do small thimgs like some clothes washing and putting things in the dish washer,,,but that is something im just now getting to the point i feel i can do iut without rhe seere conmsequences.
    I hae a collor on my neck that keeps me from being able top do alot anyhow.
    The thing is my dauaghter in law is a good housekeeper and im getting things done through her because of this operation that i may hae alowed to pile up anyhow, But she gtes paid for it.

I like to paint and i realised how much of ones neck muscles u use in doing art work! Its made me appraicate this remarkable body God ga=e us and al the things thatthge spine enables us to do!
  • Wow can I relate to your reasoning for doing all that you did. Sounds just like me. And yes I pay for it too. I loved the way you told the story. We all need to remember we CAN'T always do the stuff we used to do, just because we did it in half the time and had time for more!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.