Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

good & bad days

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I guess this is just something I will have to deal with. I realize that many factors other than meds determine my level of pain (stress, rest, stress, posture, stress, etc). I know recently I have had to deal with an unusual amount of stress with an ongoing custody battle for the past six months. Problem is now that things are getting settled and I know the children's best interest's will now be put first, so my stress level is at an all time low, my pain level is not lowering in response to less stress. I do have good and not so good days. Last visit to PM Dr I got trigger point injections and I really did not get any type of relief. I guess I'm just being a cry baby, but it does get old.

• You don't get to call yourself a Cry Baby. We are all here because we know that pain. We know exactly how excruciating it is. We know what it is like to go from a Good day where we can actually live somewhat normal to a Bad day where you lay in bed and cry.

Stress does play a roll, but relieving that stress will not magically make the pain lesson. It sounds as if you have spent months tensed up in knots over your Child. It will take a few weeks , or a really good massage to take away the rest of the tension before you begin to feel some relief.

And Honey, if you are a cry baby so are the rest of us. Until you are rolling on the floor kicking and screaming over a minor pain, you are not a cry baby.

Now, Buck up and go take a Bubble Bath. Light some candles, put on some soothing music and Relax for a bit.

We will be here if you need us.
  • For me, stress definitely and quickly makes the neck and shoulder pain worse. As stress subsides some of the pain subsides but is always there. For a number of years I had epidural/steroid injections in my neck by a pain management doctor. Unfortunately it stopped working. Trigger point injections helped in my hips, but I was told they wouldn't work in my neck because it couldn't be pinpointed accurately enough.

I can feel your pain (literally). I wish you luck in keeping your stress down and finding some relief. I am going to have ACDF surgery in a week and a half.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • You're so right that there are good days and bad days. Yesterday, I had a good day and worked, came home, walked the dog for an hour then cleaned the kitchen. I was okey dokey.

Today, I had a good morning, worked, came home, walked the dog and am now walking like an 80-yr-old. I shouldn't say that - some 80-yr-olds walk better than I do right now.

It really sucks having both lumbar and cervical issues - I've got pain in both places and I can blame my work (standing too much), the weather, stress, whatever, but it doesn't really matter, does it? Pain is pain and we can only feel lucky that we have doctors that understand and can provide us with some relief, through whatever methods work. For me, it's meds tonight along with rest.

Take care of yourself. You'll have another good day - carpe diem.

• Thanks for the replies.
    Yes kym it does not work like I would like it to. I've always been a matter of fact, or cause and affect kind if guy. That does not work when it comes to pain. Sometimes what seems like it will help does not.
    Karen my sister had ACDF surgery several years ago. For her she said it was the best thing she ever did. I realize that is something that I will eventually have to go through. I wish you well with it. FYI, my sister elected not to use bone from the bone bank and regreted it. She said her hip was a more painful recovery than her neck.
    Cathie thanks for the encouragement. I will make sure to sieze the days that are good ones.