Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ok to fuse or not to fuse

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ok i almost was ready to just go and get it over with but.
i went for one more opinion from a nero-surg (he had to throw a monkey wrench in)he say that since my first herniation was only 6mm and re-herniation is only 5mm or 6mm and i have had before micro-d and now so much nerve compression from the nerves being so close to the discs that the chances of fusion bone or what ever grows over the disc space. that it could or prob wood push on or grow around the nerves and i would be right back to wear i am now or worse. he say just leave it alone. maybe try more injections or drugs and see if it will dry up and go away (ok its been 2 years all ready)now what?

• i am due a ALIF fusion in sept i have already had 2 back operations and been in pain for 15 years and serious debilitating pain for the last 5 and i am on very strong pain killers and lots of them .,i cant do many things that many people take for granted even those with certain levels of back pain..my life consist of recliner /bed/ recliner/occasionally i find the energy to go for a short swim or even wash the car but thats its i am finished and i pay for it big time i am hoping that the fusion {and 4 other consultants have turned me down as they say it wont help and its too risky } but john the pain is just too much and i feel that i have nothing to loose .now back to you !! if you can get by with pain killers and you are nothing like me life style wise {i was very active a fit } then i would strongly advise you to thing very long and hard about going for serious surgical work on your spine .its no picnic and you will be restricted for the rest of your life after your operation .even if you get an amazing result ..you can almost guarantee that later in life you will need more work doing ..try anything before a fusion memory foam beds /TENS injections anything only go for the fusion as a last resort and make sure that you get the best surgeon that you can find .if you are in the uk i can recommend a good one
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I agree with Tony 100% I had fusion surgery it's not a guaranteed fix for anyone.
  • tony i am with you fusion is the last resort.
    i have been watching your posts every since i found this site because if they can fix or even kinda fix you there is hope for me. i have no wear near the problems that you have but the never ending pain. witch mine swings up and down a lot now. not like before my micro-d. it was consent 8 to 12 like being plugged into a welder. yes i was very active before. heavy equip mechanic, operator, hiking, hunting, baseball, go go go, now on a good day i may drive to my mail box(10 min) or walk to the creek (20 min)and i am done .the pain never gos below 3or 4 and if it would stay there i think i could live with it (but i have to go do something at that level)and pay for it the next couple days. i started lyrica last month and yes it helped some. ya i started the rider mower and mowed almost half the yard (ya driving mower on drugs) i did not run over the dog.-i did have to stop and have my wife help me back in the house (nothing like feeling like some one kick you in the groin for 2 days)
    the thing i never herd or read was about the distance the nerves are from the fusion like the nero-doc talked about it did make since. the surg-doc that did the micro-d did say after that it looked like the disc had been smashed with a sludge hammer and there was not a lot of room for the disc mater to go
  • Just curious...is a revision microD an option?
    That's what I did. I was given 3 choices
    - do nothing
    - revision

I tried do nothing and I continued to stay worse than before my 1st surgery. I decided to try the revision MicroD....they did nerve monitoring during the surgery so my recovery easier (pain wise) than the first. I took a longer leave from work to make sure I gave myself the best chance to heal but I'm doing pretty good.

I still have numbness and some pain but the pain has reduced significantly and the strength in my leg is back.

It might be an option for you.
  • dnice i am glad to hear you are doing better :)))
    it was not a option with the tear but now that it squished out again my 3rd surgeon say it is an option now.but i would have to take recovery really slow.
    and prob change professions. he say it would help with the leg an foot ,butt.pain and a little with the back pain maybe.
    wear a fusion should help the back pain but to me that would be the last resort. and now with what the nero-doc talking about room for the bone growth
    and the nerve getting trapped (that would su##)
    he say that a revision microD probably would not help enough as i am about 50-50 on pain between back an leg,foot.
    so i am back to banging my head on the wall :/
    if i went with the nero- i would just have to learn to live with it. i seam to be getting a little worse as time gos by so that is not much of an option