Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freedom ADR

itsbettinaaaiitsbettinaaa Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. Last time I posted I was asking for your opions on a fusion. But now the opportunity has arisen for me to get the new freedom artificial disc replacement.

When I first discussed surgery with my spine surgeon he mentioned a 360 fusion and an artficial disc replacement. Long story short, the ADR wouldn't be covered by my insurance and there was no long term studies so I was leaning towards the fusion.

Today my surgeon told me that his hospital was just authorized to partake in the clinical trial for the Freedom ADR surgery. He told me that I would most likely be a candidate and he would discuss it with the trial people if I was up for it. He told me I didn't have to do it If I didn't want to and he would do a fusion instead (he has done hundreds of fusions but under 100 ADR surgeries). Also, if I partake in te trial, it will be paid for by the company :)

I was just wondering if anyone here has had a disc replacement before, preferably the freedom brand (but it doesn't have to be), and how you are doing now.

I know the ADR recovery is much quicker than the 360 fusion and it will also be one less incision.

Thanks in advance for your input.
advertisement

Comments

• i had adr as trial back in 2004. It was a random where i did not know if i was coming out of surgery with adr or fused,,,, In my case i wish i would of just been fused because the adr surgery caused nerve damage above the adr level. Mine is called the flexicore disc,, The nerve pain has gone on now 7 years and they cant do anything for it. They tried fusing it thinking that would help but of course it did not.

I am not saying it will hapen to you, but if the dr has not done it for many years. Anything can hapen. And like in my case its pain that will be with me for a lifetime. I do t mean to scare you. But just sharing what has hapened to me,

The longer you can wait, the beter they might be geting with this adr. Also dont forget if the adr fails and screws up some way they wont take it out cause they say its too dangerous to go back in from the front. I met many dr,s who are telling me the adr works beter for the neck and some dr,s here told me they dont believe in the adr because of the wrong motion it has and they wont bother with it because of the complications they seen,

Hope this helps some. Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I'm with Alex on this one. I also have the nerve damage he speaks of and my surgery was in 2006. I'm able to function with pain meds and tens unit but there are times I wish I could just cut my leg off and get a new one from walmart . I often wonder what a fusion would have been like but the grass is greener on the other side . The positive is that because of the surgery I have been able to live my life ( albeit in pain that is different than before surgery . ) I was told the clinical trial we are in is over and the flexicore is not being pursued anymore. Will receive more in mail about it later they said. Do your research and make a decision on what's best for you and be ready to accept what comes with either. Pm me anytime for questions. Big hugs -chelle
  • Do as much research as you can on that specific disc. I probably research 2 hours a day on spine info and most of that is ADR. I don't know a whole lot about the freedom disc. But it seems to me the most important thing is the surgeon. If this surgeon has done under 100 ADR's, see if you can speak with any of his patients to see how they are doing and see what kind of disc they got.

Brian
  • If i had to do it all over again i would have them do the trials of repairing the disc even if it has a tear. I read a few articles where they are doing that now. Its more natural if disc can some way be saved by injecting something in there. There is nothing natural about adr or fusion.

In my view if it fails to save the disc then only they should look at removing the disc. I am not sure why they dont do it that way. It would make more sence to me. Most i have talked to after they had adr have leg pain still. After they fused my adr in my l4l5 feels like the stress is on my whole spine. I think everything hurts as if i was hit by a truck.

Surgery cant be taken lightly cause it can affect your whole life. Talk to as many dr"s as posible about it, Most of the old timers usualy will tell you surgery is the last thing you want.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • i have undergone a 3 level disk replacement and have never been better. it was a true success for me . May of this year will be almost 3 yrs and all is well .
  • I really appreciate all of your input. Unfortunately I found out I will not be a candidate because of DDD at L5-S1. I am now in the process of scheduling my 360 lumbar fusion on L4-L5. It looks like either June or July. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and support!
advertisement