Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post 360 L5 S1 fusion like a new woman!!!

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all my old spiney friends and new ones. I haven't been here in a very long time but just wanted to update all. I had my 1yr check up and x-rays and they said I am totally fused!! Said my x-rays are perfect. I think back to a year ago and I have come so far. I can say I am pretty much pain free. I think the only permanent damage I have is my second toe on my sciatic leg pre op is still a little numb and gets a little worse if I do too much repetitive walking. I do zumba twice a week with pretty high intensity and work out 2 other days a week. I continue to gain strength still slowly increasing my training with my PT. I have been doing PT for almost a year but was off for 3 months at the begining of the year. I fell off a step stool and just very mildly and tweeked some muscles and ended up with sciatica for a few weeks but was just my pyformis muscle pressing on my sciatic nerve....scared the shit out of me but all good now.My neck is stable and not causing me too much trouble just numb arm at night but I can live with that!! I am living a normal life again....no meds... no anxiety...going on vacations...working full time. I pray all are well and have a wonderful Easter!! Lynette

• Thanks for taking the time to post about your pain free days! That is fantastic! Wow Zumba! Good for you girl - Very encouraging!
    I wish you continued success and watch out for those step stools!

• Yep,I concur,LOL.Thanks for dropping in,I love hearing success stories.You have an awesome Easter too.
  • Great to hear! Thanks for your positive update. I'm so happy for you you're back to living life. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• I am so pleased to hear how well you are doing.
    We had our surgeries fairly close together, as mine was on 19th March 2010.

Sounds like you are getting on better than me.
    If it wasn't for my neck, I think I would be doing much better. I am very much improved on before my fusion, just not as good as I had hoped for.

I have just got back from a vacation though, and really enjoyed that.

You have a wonderful Easter too, and enjoy your success and being back to a normal life.

Take good care of yourself :D

• Just the BEST news and I'm soooooo happy for you.

I'm one of the success stories too.

Keep enjoying your Zumba and all the other good things in life.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • thanks all for taking the time to reply. I just want the ones getting ready for surgery to know there are good outcomes cuz I remember how scared I was!! Good to hear from my old friends.. charry, jelly and trish and best wishes to all!
  • Lynette - congrats! Wow, I come on here a few times of week to scan throught relevant topics that I can add some value too. The best part is coming here to see folks that had surgeries around the time I had mine. I remember you and it's just so fantastic to hear your post. yes, hear it...I can "hear" how wonderful you are through your words.

Best wishes for continued improvement and so glad you are doing so well!
  • Hi there

I am 10 months from having a TLIF L4-S1(9/27/10). I am still on pain meds, but not quite as much, as well as muscle relaxants and gabapentin.
    I too am better than I was before surgery but not as good as I hoped for. I guess for some of of us spineys, pain is a long term friend.
    Unfortunately I have 2 jobs and 1 is very physical (retail)and the other requires lots of moving (special ed) but still, it is tough, and I do the best I can do. I had 2 transfusions, 1 during surgeries and the other 2 days later. I am still very tires and take lots of naps.
    I don't regret having the surgery, since I am sure that by now i wouldn't be able to walk. I just wish I could get off the meds.
    I am wondering if I should ask the PM dr if we should change meds since I have been on the same meds for like 2 years now.
  • Wow, super happy to hear your year update. While I don't recall ALL the details of your early recovery, I do remember you and that tells me that the early days looked glim...but what a pleasant update.

I'm so glad that you can see and feel the progress. I'm really impressed at Zumba too! Congrats and best wishes for continued recovery.
  • :H

Hi Lynette,

I am so happy to hear you are doing fantastic. Praise God your living a normal if not better life.
    We hope to do the same.

I'm trying to figure out what we did differently that causes some to continue with pain.

My surgeon gave me a back to work with no restrictions and didn't suggest PT and when I asked if he needed to see me in a year to take XRAY'and check if I had fused he said no.

I had some water therapy to help strengthen me prior to exercising on my own. Things were going pretty well but I was in pain after walking. Afer a year of working I started going down hill.

The doctor I saw Friday said the Xrays showed I had not fused on the L4L5 and thought a screw was loose around the S1. I am scheduled for a myelogram (sorry if mis spelled).

Scared and don't know what up ahead.

11/30/2010- 360 bi level fusion L4 L5, L5 S1
    7/5/12-Revised surgery. Remv of loose hwdware, replace 6 pedicle screws and 5.5 titanium rods. Inferior laminotomy R L5 and facetectomy to deep ligamentum.
    2014 MRI indicates L3-L4 disc bulge,
  • That is wonderful news! It is so encouraging to all of us facing surgery (April 6) to hear success stories. I only hope this time next year I can post the same things that you posted. My dream/goal is not only to have less pain, but to actually be able to exercise at all! Way to go!!! =D>
  • I just love happy endings!