Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone had bone graft from coral ???

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I was speaking to my brother-in-law this morning and he told me that his bone graft for his 2 level cervical ACDF was made of coral.

I have never heard of that before.
He is in Australia.
Has anyone else had this type of bone graft?
I wonder if it will become more common.
His surgery was about 5 years ago and he is doing very well.

advertisement

Comments

• jelly, but down here we use any old stuff (joking)

actually sounds quite progressive and great its working for your b/in law

my dr (GP) did mention a few yrs ago , that maybee in the future , researchers might come up with something that could help my progressive disease, and that was seaweed

yes i no its sounds strange, and i havnt heard of any research into this

really if it works and is sustainable and well researched and tested , im all for pushing the frontiers
    flower

hey jelly , what pary of Aus does he live in

• My sister and husband live on the Mornington Penninsula, near Melbourne.

We visited a few years ago and it is beautiful. :)
  • is a beautifull area of Aus.

i was going to ask who the surgeon was , but not much point as im not down that way

do you no why coral was used instead of the normal type of materials to fuse?
    it certainly is interesting

oh and welcome home from that fantastic holiday of yours, i had to cancell 2 years in a row, my cruise, theres just no way physically i could have done it.

also when i enquired for travel insurance, i couldnt get coverage for any pre-existing conditions, so if anything had happened to my spine , i wasnt covered medically

how did you go with medical travel insurance?

flower

• We found a company that would cover a predisclosed condition, although we had to make an extra payment.

I also had a lot of people praying for my safety while I was away. That didn't cost anything! :)

I don't know why they used coral. He just mentioned it during our conversation and I had never heard of it before.

• My sister-in-law also had coral used for her bone graft. She had a two level lumbar fusion. Sadly she is still having problems and only fused at one level.

I think it is a relatively new thing to use coral, here in Canada.

Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement