Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does a cervical pillow relieve bulding disc and radiculopathy pain

gmgbfisherggmgbfisher Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've had a herniated disc in C5-C6 for about seven years now with radiculopathy pain down my right arm to the fingers. I've been dealing with the pain but have finally decided that the lost sleep is not worth it so I went back to my doctor. I had another EMG which came back showing right ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow and of course the radiculopathy. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using a cervical pillow and whether he/she finds relief when sleeping with it. These pillows run about $50 or more so I’d like some opinions before I spend the money. Thank you.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

That's a very difficult question to answer. I have a $125 tempurpedic pillow specifically designed for side sleepers to keep their spine straight. The way it's designed, it also works when sleeping on your back. (I can't sleep on my stomach because I can't keep my head turned that long and besides, it's really bad on your neck anyway.)

I can say that I wouldn't want to sleep without mine and would most likely have a worse night sleep without it, but does it relieve bulging discs and radiculopathy pain? I MAY relieve it, but not solve the problem.

So basically, I can't help you at all (LOL) other than to say that I love mine, but it didn't replace treatment of any kind.

Take care,
  • Can you tell me where you got it. I would love to get one for myself and my husband. If you don't want to advertise in public, you could e-mail me. I am desperate for relief.
  • it a fantastic pillow but i am not allowed to mention it by manufacture so i have sent the details to you
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • If I were you, I'd go to one of those Health Back stores where they have these kinds of pillows. You can try out all the different ones and see which one works for you. I think mine is the Symphony, but I'm not sure. But to try one out for yourself is probably the best bet.

I also have a sleep number bed and love it - I can make it softer or harder, depending on how my spine feels when I go to bed or wake up in the middle of the night.

The thing is, it's so different for everyone, so to try something out for yourself is probably the best way to find what's right for you.

• Thank you all for the replies. I've been looking at the Arc4Life Cervical Traction pillow. Does anyone have any experience with it?
  • My mom purchased 2 for me from a medical place. To me they were ok but I wouldn't say that they helped me. They have started breaking down and I'm getting hand and arm numbness, Every pillow I have had I don't know how I do it but they break down. Before I had a similar pillow that I purchased at Target for around $20 and my mom paid like $70 for each pillow. I myself like a softer pillow and I can't have it too fat due to my neck so I am still trying to find something.
  • tippy27ttippy27 Ontario, caPosts: 1
    Hi, did you ever find relief from the pillow? If so what do you suggest.