Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anterior ad posterior fusions and rod placement

steveussteveu Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Scoliosis
I have Arachnodites and have developed a large spinal curve due to five discs degenerating on the right side. I'm 59 diabetic and suppose to have rods placed front and back with 5 fusions on May 25th. I'd like to know what kind of rocovery time to expect in the hospital and pain levels. I have had a stiulator placement that fail after three tries, and a infusion pump so I've been through the mill. My back has totally debillitated me. Would like some experienced opinions look forward to hearing from yu.

• I am no where near that condition, but I figured some comment was better than none. I'm 16 years old and I had a spinal fusion/rod placement surgery at 14. The pain I experienced was intense, I woke up soon after surgery sobbing and begging for more morphine or for them to put me back to sleep. I had my moments, the night they took me off morphine I was up till 6 am and after that I finally started eating. I was on 5 mg Lortab and don't remember much of that week, but the car ride home was 8 hours and they told me that they had to stop for an hour every time my medicine started to wear off. It's not a fun procedure to go through and my recovery is still not over. Probably never will be. You're a lot more complicated health-wise and I imagine that you'll take at least double the time I did to get up and moving again. Estimate 4 months about. Back pain never goes away once this is done, but it's worth it and I'd do it all again. Sorry I can't be of any more help :(
  • Hello Steveu,
    I had minimally invasive repair of a 40 degree scoli curve 2 yrs. ago and I am so thankful every day for the surgery. Gone was the horrible pain in my back,but so much of the nerve pain in my legs was gone too! Now getting there was extremely painful and difficult, but so was what I was before surg. The worst thing for me was the pain of all muscles on the side of my curve. Those muscles were stretched so far,after being pulled to their proper length. With wonderful PT's and Dr's ,I was walking and doing easy household tasks within 6wks. Despite some complications and all the pain, I would do it all over again. Make sure you have adequate pain meds. and good PT post-op Don't try and do too much too soon.Think tortoise, not hare. Trust your instincts if you feel you need sometime or feel something is wrong let dr's ,nurses know. Do you have someone to be with you post-op? Please ask if you have any specific questions. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.