Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI joint - pain does not go away, need help

I hurt my left SI joint 1+ year ago shoveling way too much snow?

The dull pain does not go away. I feel it every day.

I typically feel a dull pain when I lie flat on my back, in a recliner and some times when I sit down in my desk chair. The pain will often go away after sitting for a while. The pain will often come back later in the day after sitting for a while.

The pain often comes and goes.

I often do not feel pain when walking. No pain in the leg.

5 months after the pain started I went to my primary doctor. Dr. prescribed 7-day prednisone (oral steroid) pack, Ibuprofen, muscle relaxant. Doctor gave me this 3 times over next 8 months. It did not do any good.

Had MRI of lower spine - negative.

Had x-rays of SI joints, hip - negative.

Went to physical therapy 10 months after injury for 5 weeks. Strengthened core - pain did not go away. Physical therapist thought there may be an injured ligament.

13 months after injury, saw spine/back surgeon. Surgeon did not see anything abnormal with MRI and x-rays. Did not think surgery is an option.

Surgeon referred me to a doctor who injected steroids/numbing agent into SI joint - pain did not go away.

Had 2nd injection 4 weeks later - pain did not go away. Decided not to have a 3rd injection as did not see any progress with first 2 injections. Dr. does not think surgery is an option.

Injection doctor thought there may an inflamed tendon in SI joint.

I work out 5-6 times per week for 60-90 minutes/day. Mostly lift weights with machines and do core exercises.

I have recently stopped doing some exercises/stretches that use my lower back or I feel a little soreness in the SI joint when exercising.

What is my problem? What should I do to make the pain go away?

• Maybe a Sports Medicine Dr.(Physiatrist) or an Ortopedist Dr. can help make a diagnosis and treatment. Also I noticed when my Pain Management Dr. injected my SI joints she also injected the hip joint also and seemed to help the pain go away for awhile. I also use heat treatments for pain around the SI joints. I've also had second opinions from an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Neurosurgeon and a Neurologist and a Pain Management Dr., the one who does the injections. But I also have Degenerative Disc Disease and recently a herniaed disc.

Have you tried Massage Therapy or deep muscle massage? I think the Sports Medicine Dr. (physiatrist) can do deep muscle massage and shows you the right exercises to do. I hope you get some pain relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN