Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Royal Wedding

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Water Cooler
Ok, I've been waiting for somebody to post about this now that the time is almost here for the royal William and Kate wedding. But nothing, nada, so here it is.

I'm totally caught up in it, and this week will be hell on my hubby with all the shows in the US coming up regarding this.

But what I want to know from our fellow spineys in the UK - What's the atmosphere there? Is it a big hoopla? Is everyone excited about it? Did anybody get an invitation (LOL)? What's it like over there with this big event on the near horizon? Can you fill me in?

I know there will be many of you who couldn't care less, but I'm interested to know what it's like in the UK right now and if others here in the US are going to be watching all the lead-ups.

• Well, there are all sorts of things for sale in the shops; memorabilia and various things to have street parties.

We bought some union jack flags today to put up with a family gathering on the day.
    The Friday will be a Bank Holiday here in the UK.

We have commented that while we were in Puerto Rico a few days ago, there was far more excitement on the tv than here in the UK. There is mention of it but not nearly as often. It seemed that it was mentioned in every interval break in PR.

I did buy an American magazine all about it at the airport in New York on the way to our holiday. I did learn things that I didn't previously know. I've brought the magazine home for my daughter to read.

I am sure that things will hot up in the media here now there are only a few days to go. The radio is running competitions with Kate and William look alikes appearing at functions. That doesn't appeal to me, but I will watch and enjoy the real thing. <:P

I will definately be watching it on the tv!

• it will be a big deal in the UK and with many watching worldwide, including me, cant wait to see "THE DRESS"

i watched it live on tv when charles and diana got married, did you?

i think its a shame that kate is losing too much weight, shes looking too thin, hopefully she will regain to the healthy size she was

the guest list is a little bizzare, in some cases of invites, but there seem to be doing there own thing in some repects , in that is allowed, as they do have to follow the main protocol, however they are having 2 receptions with different guests to each

apparently , so the rumours go , kate is having 3 dresses made , in case her dress is leaked to the media

happy involvement getting into it
  • Yep yep I am following everything about it lol ;)

I am in a hospital bed in my living room recovering from have both of my knees replaced 5 weeks ago.

I have a big sceen TV and no where to go - so I am "going" to the wedding. Or will at least DVR it.

I heard on the news that a lot of places here in the USA already have several types of basic wedding dresses made and then when they see the real one they will finish these and figure within 6 HOURS of the wedding will have ones like Kates ready to sell.

So I guess what they did was made a bunch with sleeves with out sleeves etc kind of like the basic and then will build on to these.

Is she really losing that much weight or is it a tab rumor?

I watched those shows where everyone was saying how things will happen the days before and the day of.

The one part I think I would not like at all is. Kate MUST spend the night before the wedding at the main castle alone. Harry will be guarded at another place. Staying there alone would give me the creeps lol

I know the servents and such will be there with her but still - weird......

She already does not belong to her family any more :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • you mean william dont you , lol

you can see by her recent photos that shes lost weight, they say shes dropped 2 dress sizes

she will be fine the night before , i dont think she will be completly on her own , surely a girlfriend or family member will be there too

beth will you be "dressing for the occasion "" lol

happy viewing

they did that with the engagement dress and it sold out
  • But don't think I'll get up at 300am to watch it April 29th in Canada. One of my best friends got married that same day and it's also my birthday. I see Kate has lost some weight but sure she'll gain it back when she has children. It's interestig to hear there will be two receptions that will take a lot out of them and also what gift would you give them? I also watched Princess Diana and Prince Charles get married and was so happy to see the wedding. I would like to see Kate's dress(es) I hope it comes on later in the day as a repeat. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hell I'd marry William for that money ! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
  • they would be down the local pub with a few friends then off to the sun for a few weeks ..but because he is who is .there will be all the pomp and crap that goes with a royal wedding ..lets just hope that lessons have been learned and the leave KATE alone remember the lovely Diana?? ..i believe she was killed ...let hope Kate is not hounded by the red tops {papers and photographers. photographing everything she dose }.i wish them well but i do object to the millions that it will cost the British tax payer when we are supposed to be is serious dept

{the government can find money for everything when they want too can't they
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Yes, I did watch Diana and Charles' wedding and I also was glued to the tv when Diana died. William is my favorite and I think he's chosen a lovely bride. We just need to forget how he first met her. LOL

I won't be watching it live either - I'm dead asleep at 3am, so I'll be taping it and watching it the next day, probably while hubby is golfing.

I heard about the dresses they're making all over the place so they can duplicate the dress in the bridal shops once we know what her dress is.

I love the whole pomp and circumstance, but think I'd be a little PO'd if I lived in the UK and had the foot part of the price tag on this very expensive event.

I also hope that she can deal with the press with dignity like Diana did - we can't ever expect the paparazzi to let go, it's simply not in their DNA.

• In the papers here they are saying these so-called important people getting invited, but their spouses are not.
    Yea thats gonna go over real good!

With all them uppitty up people there, if i went i would have to drink my beer with my pinky finger sticking out.
    Foret it, i'm not going!
  • Cathie,

Like you, I will record it. The physical wedding will of course be run until it's beat to death for days on the news!

I too feel that Princess Diana was killed. For all the good in this world she did, they (media) hounded her and wouldn't give her piece. Of course the dead don't talk, so we were giving that the driver was drunk - yeah okay, and I know there is a bridge from the states to Puerto Rico - NOT. :)

I wish William a Kate long and happy lives!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I don't know why anyone should be upset with the tax dollars being spent on the wedding "over there" when we have our own gov't blowing our tax dollars on things of much less value "over here." Also, I think the way he met her is nothing to forget or be ashamed of, more likely it speaks to who they really are as people. You don't honestly believe they are Royalty do you?
    They are lovely and I wish them a great life, but I do not believe in all of this fairy tale phony bologna, however I did watch P. Diana & P. Charles wed. Their wedding was right before my own and I was pretty excited about it. I was devastated when Diana passed away and now I wonder what she would think of this, but I can't help but think of her now. You can sign the Guestbook & a chance to win a trip to the "event" online, but I don't want to get in trouble for posting the link. I signed the guestbook.
  • Well, seeing as I'm normally awake at 3am (it's 0345 now, lol) I will most likely be watching it live. Actually, tonight, TLC had about 6 hours of programming all about the royals, including Charles and Di's wedding. I remember watching the footage of their wedding that day as well, I was 9 I think? Still believed in fairy tales anyways... lol It is interesting in the very least, as they will be our King and Queen (Canada being part of the Commonwealth) someday, and I think they will make a lovely couple. At least William is marrying his true love now, and not creating a debacle like his father...
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I am excited about the wedding. I want to see it or watch it live. I am happy for the couple.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    My Royal Invatation MUST has been lost in the mail!

Get the Queen Mum on the tele for me please??

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• Yes I will be watching live, for as long as I can stay awake. I saw Charles and Diana live and the coverage of her death live so wouldn't miss this one. I will be comfortably in bed with all my pillows to support my legs and back!! I probably won't be toasting them with champagne tho. My boyfriend is British and he will be watching live too.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in, PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol which barely touches the pain.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • That might be a bit difficult, and make a very large phone bill, considering she left her earthly reign in 2002... How much would it cost to call the after-life? ;)
  • Blood work in the morning, so the DVR has been set on this end!! I hope the rain holds off for them, *and* for the spectators that not only don't want to get wet, but so they can see Will and Kate per plan A!

• I'm watching it live. P. Willian & Harry just drove over to the church a few minutes ago. The guests have been coming in for over an hour-dressed to the nines!! The talking heads are hilarious, it sounds like Macys T Day parade (lol), very festive, not at all snooty like it should be. My grandparents are Brits (deceased now) and .. well I know I told this before and it didn't go over then & it won't now either, but I don't care.. my Grandfather was a mounted guardsman over there before he moved across the pond. His birthday was on the 4th of July (which they thought was very funny) and he got a birthday card every year with the seal (or crest) on it. When he died (at 99) there was a card and flowers with the same crest delivered. I'm going to see if I can get that card so that I can post it for you all.
    For all I know I may be related !! I'm so excited now, my nephew is gettin hitched--lmao.
    But anyway, they are setteling down, music is starting, It's pathetic now because I kinda have tingles and tears-I'm totally embarrassed. Maybe I'm not too old after all to believe in fairy tales!!

Here she comes!!! Aw, she's in the car with her dad waving, on her way to the church from the hotel. I gotta go now. I'm going to a wedding ♥
  • That is just too cool Robin!!

Well, the ceremony is over, it was lovely and not full of the pomp and circumstance that would have ruined it. Diana was "The People's Princess" and William is certainly "The People's Prince". Both he and Kate seem very down to earth and I'm sure will carry on with his mother's legacy, and breathe some much needed fresh and new life into the monarchy.
  • whole event and ceremony was so lovely

i will keep shush about it, till you all get a chance to watch it

they are such a really equally matched couple, very grounded , think these two will make the happy ever after

kelly, i agree, they are the new royals, the 21st century couple who will bring new current values and blend it with the traditional

congrats william and catherine

• I've been watching via DVR, but skipping through a lot of the mucky mucks showing up, as I don't know them, and that isn't what is of interest to me, the wedding is.

Never been a 'hat person', so to me, all those hats where/are over the top. Hell it use to be going to the movies, a tall person in front of me keeping me from seeing the movie drove me nuts. Just how many past the isle or front row because of those dang hats, saw the wedding? I think those of us with invites to the front of our TV's did better on the deal! (G)

So happy the rain held off, and "plan A" stayed as 'the' plan. Good for them!!!

• and then had a barbeque in the garden. Toasted the couple with champagne. Sun was shining, not ever so warm but a lovely day for April.

We had Union Jack bunting up around the house and in the house. Table in the garden was all red, white and blue. We wore red, white and blue. Our granddaughter (aged 4) came dressed as a princess with tiara.

It has been a lovely day and one that we will remember for a very long time! I still remember Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981.

• The one BIG thing that I noticed during todays wedding and subsequent, the "love"...you could feel the love. With Charles and Di, to me, it felt detached, and Di was out of her element. She did eventually adapt, but wow at what a final price.

I strongly feel that this will be nothing but a good thing for many countries. We hear nothing but bad news, and this was so refreshing, heartwarming, happy tears, warm, sorry...it was wonderful to watch!

Go Will!!! Go Kate!!! :)

• I was awake at 4am...but started to drift off, so I set the DVR, and watched after I had slept some, and did necessary tasks.

Kate reminded me very much of the scene from The Sound of Music wedding in the cathedral, even her dress reminded me of the one in that movie.

She was stunning, I hope she and William are forever happy.
  • kate got the dress right, was understated elegance, very fitting for the magnitutde of this wedding.

william looked great in the uniform he chose
    and i thought the music selection was beautifull and moving, that piece that was especially written for them (cant think now who they said wrote it) was divine

i cant help thinking that during the exchange of vows that william may have had a few thoughts on the debacle and sham his father made of his marriage

prince charles didnt love diana , she was just a means to produce airs to the throne, very sad

and i think william and kate have gone into this marriage not only with there love for each other, but with reflection of williams parents charade of a marriage, not diana's fault, as she did love charles, untill it became increasingly obvious he didnt love her

william and kates marriage is a real marriage , they love each other and i think they will mutually support each other and they have a common goal and ideas of thier direction

• I think almost everyone in this Royal family has an agenda of their own and doubt that there are many exceptions. I do not believe that Diana loved Charles, but more that it was an arranged marriage, or one of convienience. Perhaps she did grow to love him, but to be "in" love as people fall in love with a person, I just don't think that ever happened.. but I also think many people (you know-commoners) get married for the wrong reasons, they just don't happen to be the same type as those you find in the royal family or the people associated with them.

Of course Will and Harry would have thought about their own parents wedding, but that is human nature and no different than the way any other children would think of their parents failed unions, only completely different circumstances. Underneath it all, they are just people like everyone else...
    But how do any of us know what is in their hearts and if it is real. Time will tell.
    I hope they are happy, but I always hope couples are happy and don't think that this couple is more deserving because one of them was born into royalty.
    In times like these, I would have had more respect if the couple would have decided to really take a break from the formality and tradition, and instead saved the taxpayers money.

However, people "over there" who are complaining about the money issue in this situation really have no right to if they are not also raising a hoot about the wasted resources elsewhere, otherwise it just looks like nit-picking.