I am 32 years old, 6ft, 150lbs. 10 years ago I was in a car accident and received L4-5,L5-S1 disc bulges. I had pressure on the nerve roots and both legs were affected. Tried PT 3 different times, 2 epidurals and had no relief. I was referred out for surgery. With the odds not in my favor I did not do it. I ended up with DDD in the two discs, an unstable spine and scoliosis. So 2 years ago I started taking hydrocodone 5-500 3x and 350mg Soma 3x a day. It helped and kept me from having spasms.
6 months ago I was in another car accident and now I have L3-4 mild annular bulge
L4-5 broad annular bulge, annular rent, thickening of lig. flava, moderate loss of disc space,DDD, pressure on nerve root
L5-S1 broad annular bulge with severe loss of disc space, DDD, pressure on nerve root
T2-3 mild bulge
T3-4 large annular bulge causing a flattening and straightening of spinal cord
C5-6 mild left paracentral bulge
I have had 3 neuro-surg want to do a L4-S1 2 level full fusion and one neuro-surg that wants me to avoid that at all cost because of L3-4 that already has a bulge.
I went to PT for my neck for 2 months 3x a week.
No Dr. will even talk about my Thoracic. After I kept pushing for answers on it I was told that there is only a dozen Dr.'s that will touch a disc in the upper thoracic area and there is a extremely high risk of death with a surgery.
So for the last 6 months I can't work, have extreme pain in my neck upper/mid back, lower back, chest and legs. For the last 6 months I have been taking 5mg Oxycodone 4x, 350mg Soma x3, 25mg amitriptyline x1.This can only bring my pain down to a 7 or 8 if I sit around the house and do nothing. I am going to PM but would like a more permanent fix. I don't want to make a wrong decision and have the wrong surgery that I will have to deal with for the next 40 years. I have thought of a 2 level ADR at L4-S1 and hope L3-4 does not get worse. Not sure if a Dr would do it either. Not sure what to do with the Thoracic and I now have atrophy in that area. I just had an EMG and the Dr said I have multiple pinched nerves(I could have told him that.) I will get the full report this week. My pain meds are to weak, I feel my Soma should be x4 day and I don't think the nerve meds are doing anything. I am going to talk to my PM Dr this week.
Any suggestions on what route I should take? All the Dr's I've seen try to pawn me off on another Dr.