Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member; recent surgery

cjones74ccjones74 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
This is my first post so, I suppose that some background information is required.
I am 37, 6'3", 160 lbs. I have always been physically active and was going to the gym three times a week,where I was weight lifting and swimming, until just over 2 months ago. I am also a musician and was working part time at IKEA, in the self serve warehouse, where some heavy lifting was involved.
Anyway, for the last 2 months I was suffering from severe spinal stenosis, in addition to a herniated disc. At my worst, I was permanently hunched over, at about a 45 degree angle. I had two cortisone shots, in the L1 and C5 regions of my right side, over a span of two months. They brought little relief, but not complete. Finally, this past Tuesday, I had surgery. By Wednesday, I was walking upright and on Thursday I was able to play my first gig, standing up (I am a guitar player), in over 2 months. I feel like I never had any pain at all, and it's wonderful! My doctor, who was also my surgeon and, who had also had back surgery some years ago (a fusion), told me that it was a quick recovery and he wasn't kidding!
I am anxious to resume my regular physical activities. However, I know that i need to take it easy. I had been doing yoga just before the surgery, in addition to riding the recumbent bike. I also walk a fair bit. My Dr. suggested that I start gradually before going back to the normal routine. I am not scheduled to have physical therapy and my follow up appointment is not for until May 16th.
I am just curious if any of you have any suggestions.

Surgery 4 years ago for lower back herniated disc
Currently have herniated disc at L4-5 L5-S1

• I agree with Jellyhall. As well as walking, I found swimming to be a good form of exercise as the water helps to support the body.

Am I reading your post correctly? You had spine surgery on a Tuesday and then, TWO DAYS later you were playing your guitar at a gig - I would think that's an extremely quick recovery for any spine surgery.

I had fusion surgery last year. When I started to feel so much better, I thought I could conquer the world - and tried!! The upshot was that I caused increased back pain and am still having ongoing issues now. Please be careful that any activities you do do not compromise the successful outcome of your surgery.

Out of interest, what surgery did you have?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• The best thing you can do apart from following any restrictions you have been given and not expecting too much of yourself, is walking.

Several short walks are better than a long one in the early days. Start off gently and slowly build up.

Inbetween the walks, rest.

It sounds like you are doing very well. Keep it up! :D

• I don't know if I had spinal surgery, per se. I DO know that one of the things that they did do was widen the space of my spinal canal so that the nerve would not be pinched - which is what was causing all the pain/discomfort to begin with.
    I also had a partial herniated disc; The surgery was an out patient/same day procedure.
    I have the paperwork,somewhere with the correct term; when I find it I will let you know.
    Yes, it is a quick recovery but, I was told it would be. Couldn't be happier!
    Surgery 4 years ago for lower back herniated disc
    Currently have herniated disc at L4-5 L5-S1