Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot numb post discectomy??

nacho24nnacho24 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery last Monday so just at 7 days ago and when I woke up from the operation my foot felt like it was asleep and it has not gone away... I'm also experiencing nerve pain that it much more severe than pre-surgery and I'm beginning to get a little worried....

Anyone have anything similar happen to them? The doc called in a steroid to see if inflammation is causing the numbness or at least to rule it out. i'm beginning to think that it may have re-herniated after they sewed me up.

• I experienced the same numbness. My right foot was numb which really concerned me. I made an appointment with my GP and he said not related to surgery per say. He said many patients experience this during surgery as positioning on the table can pinch nerves. My surgery was 5 1/2 hours so make sense to me. He said just takes time. My numbness is virtually gone now (I'm approaching 6 weeks post op tomorrow <:P
  • Post-op inflammation, swelling, and edema are common.

In my case, it lasted about 5 weeks. I thought for sure I reherniated. An Epidural Steroidal Injection into the L5-S1 site made it all go away.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • yeah, i thought that at first too... for sure that i had re-herniated it somehow.. after two days on the steroid the nerve pain seems to have decreased quite a bit but the numbness is still there. i can deal with that for the time being i figure.