Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Forget Sleep Number, whats your Pain Number?

KymBerlyKymBerly Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
So I have always had a thing going. When the Pain gets Above a 6 I take my Medicine. If it is below a 6 , I take a hot shower, use my heating pad, go for a walk etc.

My Goal is to keep the Pain at around a 4.I have 4 Children. One with medical problems, 2 high functioning Aspies, and a normal daughter who is hitting puberty early. So I need to be able to move around quite a bit.

So what is your bearable Pain Level?

At What level do you say Hmm I can't Wait for my Meds. When do you take them Early? Before Cleaning? Mowing the Lawn?

What sets Off your Pain?

Do you ever feel like the 0-10 Scale does not Accurately convey your pain levels to your Doctor? The Scale is supposed to be the worst pain you have ever had in your life is a 10, 0 Is No Pain. Lets be realistic here, none of us are EVER A 0!

So for those of us who have had multiple surgeries and have been in Unbearably severe pain, how can we match that. How can the Doctor know that we have been in that type of Pain. Would a Generalized Pain Scale not be better, with the patient able to also rate themselves as high, normal or low Pain Tolerance. I have a High tolerance I have built up over time, as do 90% of us here.

I just feel as if the pain scale is not as accurate as it could be for pain.

Ive literally walked around on a broken foot and ankle and when I gave the Pain a rating of 6, meaning I needed pain relief but could deal with it, The Doctor told me don't be a Martyr. If only he knew, if only.
Feel free to Answer anything you are comfortable answering. My hope in asking was to see how other Deal with Pain and the Numbers and Medications that come with it. Who knows we pay learn from each other something new ;)

• Its funny my Dr and I just had this conversation.
    i think it should be 0-12 like the doc said 10 is the worse pain ever and you need to go to the hospital.
    i told him is that like when i was a 100 yards from my car and cellphone. bent over and that thing in my back went zap,zip, cra#, that was dumb. and i could not hardly move or take a breath . vision was like looking out of a fish tank. standing there for a life time realizing i may not make it to the car, he say that would be a 12. you need to get help way before that .so 10 is passed out.
    i bounce around 3-4 to 6-7- and it can change in a few minutes.
    bearable Pain Level? 6 or so.
    over 6 med time.
    What sets Off your Pain? prob driving is the worse or picking up something to heavy or wrong.
    i have had a broken ankle and worked 12 hr days for a week before going to the dr, had kidney stone maybe the worse pain ever (9) waited 2 days to go to the doc.
  • I'm no good at pain or pain scales. I've had my gallbladder removed now but I made the call before I knew what was wrong that since it wasn't as bad as my back I wasn't going to the hospital for it. I had probably 15-20 bad attacks before I finally had one at work and their medical sent me to the hospital. I thought it was just really bad indigestion and it would get better eventually. I almost shut down my liver. I've broken my foot and walked on it in horrific pain for days at work that literally glowed on the bone scan(lady doing scan wanted me to go the hospital right then). I have a martyr complex and a high pain tolerence. If I'm still breathing it isn't that bad, right? All of this and the highest I've rated pain to the doctor is a 7 and he had to tell me I was wrong when I told him it was a 4. I really wish they would just ask what effect it's having on my life. That's easier to answer. You know can you drive without pain, walk for so long without pain, those type of things.
  • its hard to give you an accurate answer that would have any meaning .i dont know anymore where normal is ..as i am in some sort of pain all the time ..i think that when i am woken normally between 1/3 hours after i have gone to bed the pain is worse then its unbearable ..it take about 200mg of oxycontin to get it bearable but then its nagging all day and as i am waiting for an ALIF fusion and my back has got a lot worse over the years and since the last operation i am in pain all day and unable to do all but the most basic of things .its not fun at all
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • And should not be compared to a Normal person's. I think we deserve our own pain scale as well. A Regular pain scale is perfect for Normals, but not for Chronic Patients.

I posted once a Message on a Another board, in a letter to normal people. This is what I said.

My Name is Kym-Berly and I have Cauda Equina Syndrome. You will not know anything is wrong with me by looking at me, but know this. Inside I'm in Agony. The Worst Pain of your life, is my constant companion.What sends you begging and pleading for Drugs, is a 3rd in my marriage. What sends you screaming for the Emergency Room, is my best friend. What makes you scream and cry and roll on the floor, that pain is my life now. For better or worse till death do us EDITED part.

All my Dr. had to do was listen with a open mind. Instead she judged me and then condemned me to this life. I'm angry that this happened to me. I'm angry that it was preventable, but was not prevented. Im angry that not just me , but my kids and family suffer too along with me.

Let me tell you something else. Pain Ages you. It changes your whole Life. You sleep more, walk less, laugh less. Lines appear on your face that should not have come along for years. Those plans to head to the Grand Canyon get quietly canceled. Car's get replaced with ones that are better for your Back and Legs. Handicap Placards go up on the rear view mirror. And you become one of those people who Drives around Walmart in a motorized cart. And let me tell you, those people are invisible to other shoppers. They cut you off, bump into you, ram you with their cart.

CES Doesn't begin and end with what it does to your Body. It is a life Altering Condition. I just wish it hadn't altered mine quite so much.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave
This discussion has been closed.