Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wondering what will happen

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hey all!

I'm new to this board but not new to the site. I just had ACDF on C5C6 on 3/7/11 and Carpal Tunnel Release on 4/15/11. Went in for check up today to my NS. Told him things were feeling better but I was still having my mid back pain. Apparently there was some misunderstanding some where between he and I. I told him on my initial visit in January 2011 about my midback symptoms along with my cervical issues and arms/hands numbness issues. I thought he felt my mid back issues were stemming from my herniation at C5C6. Well, today he stated that where I'm having the pain at couldn't be from the cervical area. Ever since 2002 I've suffered from on and off mid back pain. It's in between my shoulder blades. It's a sharp stabbing pain that is VERY persistant and slightly radiates to my shoulder blades. It seems to have flared up on and off over the years but for the past year hasn't went away. I had an MRI T-Spine done in December of 09. The results were very brief and just stated no lesions were seen regarding being checked for MS. I'm wondering if maybe a herniation or disc bulge was missed because of this. I am back at work today after being out for 6 weeks and I'm having a TERRIBLE time. The pain is extreme. Dr. told me to come back in two weeks for my hand post op check up and he said we'll start to address my mid back area issue then. I'm just really scared about it. I've read on here where mid back pain is hard to diagnose and treat. I've read through the posts by people on this board and their symptoms are the exact same as the ones I suffer from. I guess I just wanted to stop in and hear from some people that can relate to what I'm going through. If you have any advice to give it would be appreciated. I work at a desk and get up every 15 minutes to move around but I'm still in great pain. It's gotten extremely difficult to sit here.

Thanks in advance!

• Howdy Darah,

I have 'mid back' pain, but they know what is causing it. It also causes me to have burning pain around my rib cage - neuropathy from the thoracic. I have DDD and spurs at my T8/9/10. Far from operable (thank God). Other times I get the 'ice pick' in the center of my back. The burning is constant (3-5 on the pain scale most times), and for some reason Lyrica doesn't touch it. It seems many others have found their nerve pain medications don't touch the burning on the rib cage - no clue why.

Your MRI was back in 2009, so hopefully your doctor at a minimum will get that updated. My surgeon thought I had a hernia there because my back is very sensitive in those levels if pushed on! I hope you have answers on that pain soon.

Now back to work, congrats. For a while you will probably have good and bad days from your fusion. You are still fairly fresh out of surgery, and it can take up to a year to fully fuse. I myself has spasms (making copy cat pre-surgical pain) for up to 6 months, and then rare here and there up to a year. Your whole spine has to adjust, your nerves take a while to heal and can send out shock signals as they heal. I hope this helps. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry that you are suffering >:D<

I was just telling my PM doctor today that my cervical fusion was much harder on me than the lumbar fusion (probably due to the accident I was in shortly after the acdf).

I think your doctor is probably waiting for the ACDF to heal a bit more before he starts the study on the Thoracic spine. Thoracic injury is much less common and many times the pain from cervical problems does refer to thoracic.

Are you taking a muscle relaxer and pain meds? Also have you tried the lidocane patches?

Feel better- Julie