Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain and Numbness following spinal lumbar fusion

jrasmussenjjrasmussen Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Lower Back Pain
:( in jan 2011 i had surgary on L4-L5-S1. when i woke up i was numb on the left side from my bum, groin, halfway down the back of my leg and my foot. i was told i had a dura tear while my dr was removing old scar tissue, which took 4 stitches to close. i still have the numbness, but the pain in my lower back is so severe the dr did another mri, a myelgram and steriod injections. i seen him today and he says that they cant find anything wrong ( except the report i have said i now have a L3-L4 central protrusion, a pocket of spinal fluid built up from the dura leak, anterior extradural defect,and ventral epidural defect and spondylotic ridging.) He told me i would just have to wait it out to see if the numbness and pain goes away............Could the numbness be caused by him cutting the dura lining to deep and damaging the nerves? any awnsers would help me right now as im about to loss my mind! thanks Jess

• if u read the bottom of this note about what happened to me ...
    im still numb thats 8 weeks on they said they didnt know if it would come back only time will know ..
    i had blood clots on my nerve endings from my spine that caused mine but they removed them but in the process damaged the nerves
    they said they could be just swollen and could take 6-8 months to recover so now still waiting ... hope it all works out for you in the end and the pain eases...
    im still in alot of pain on alot of tablets but hey ho early days as everyone keeps telling me ...

• thanks for your reply! this is sooo frustrating. my dr did say that i had severe scar tissue that he had to remove but other then that i just dont know what went wrong! i hope you start feeling better.....im also on alot of pills but they dont seem to be helping jess :S
  • i go back on the 15 june for check up ...so will see what he says then ..
    know have some thing wrong with my right shoulder this is all since the operation ..the doc wants a consultaion with me on thurs to talk about the xray i had on it ... now i wonder what else can go wrong :-(

• is it the back of your right shoulder? mines been bugging me for about a month now
  • I'm looking at a possible operation that requires my dura to be cut.... anyway you can tell me about how they treated your tear...... did u get any headaches?
  • mine was an accident. he used 4 stitches and glue to repair the cut. i had severe headaches and had to lie flat in the hospital bed for 3 days. they have you do this so the tear will heal. i also had a hemovac drain tube to collect the fluid. i dont know if the pain and numbness was caused from the dura cut or something else. hope this helped! good luck and keep me posted JESS
This discussion has been closed.